leaning tree problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a 6ft tree at the back of the garden (cordyline, i think) that has taken a bit of a battering from the recent winds and is now leaning over by about 15 degrees from upright. How can I fix it? Do I need to drive some kind of stake into the ground behind it and tie the tree to it? I notice it's a bit loose and wobbly at the base, so should I add some extra soil around the base. any suggestions would be welcomed :confused:

Sponsored Links
how long has it been there and is there any noticeable movement to the soil at the base?

Not sure how long it's been there. We moved in last year, but the plant seems well established.
Yes there is some movement in the soil. I can move it back to the original upright position, but then it slowly sinks back to it's new leaning position.

Wouldn't like to try and dig it out, probably weighs a ton!
How about driving a stake into the ground, at a similar angle, but in the opposite direction. Then strapping the tree to it. I could then force more soil, and gravel around the base to reinforce it.

Wouldn't like to move it, as it partly disguises a grotty looking shed at the back of the garden. ;)

sounds like the soil around it has been loosened. Get someone else to move it back to the upright position. Dig out sme of the loose soil and infill it back again, firming it well with your heel. If its still loose then you can stake it for a while, until the ground firms up. If its a cordyline then they have a fairly small rootball that can come loose. Dont leave the stake in for too long.

Sponsored Links
ok.

why must the stake not be left for too long? Wouldn't it stop the strong gusts of wind moving it again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back