Leanto roof rafter cutting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all.

I am going to start putting rafters on my leanto extension this weekend.

My question is do I cut the tails for the soffit and facials off before I put them on roof or after? Or do I cut the soffit line before I put them up and then go back and cut the facia face off after.

Also what determines the placement of these... As in how far away from the wall they sit and how far down they go.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
do I cut the tails for the soffit and facials off before I put them on roof or after? Or do I cut the soffit line before I put them up and then go back and cut the facia face off after
If you are confident that your wall plate runs true and level and your brickwork runs true and level and your wall plate has been seated parallel with the brickwork, then you should always cut them before fiiting.

We only cut them in-situ if there are discrepancies with the existing brickwork etc.

Also what determines the placement of these... As in how far away from the wall they sit and how far down they go
Aesthetics.

The rafter ends are largely cosmetic in regards to how much overhang etc. It will be governed by the steepness of the roof and the heads of doors and windows etc and what looks acceptable in relation to neighbouring roofs and relative size etc. A shallow roof for example may end up with a greater overhang than a steep roof, but too much or too little would look silly in terms of comparison to the main dwelling or how it sits with the size of the roof it furnishes.

All the time then! :sneaky:
Cheeky.

We did an extension a couple of years back in Bloxwich (Blocco) which meant extending each side of a garage which ran down out of level, a country mile. I added a foundation and skin of blockwork to the inner leaf which was level, as was the wall plate. I used a line and the brickwork as a guide to set the rafter tails and fascia to the dropping of the brickwork. Looked good when done. The only pig was setting the gutter. I needed to use quite a deep fascia too.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Also nearly all truss rafter roofs are cut in-situ because they are rarely all exactly the same size in any case.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm happy with my wall plate but will likely cut them after they are up. This way I get to see the aesthetics before I cut it and should be easy enough with a circular saw.
Cheers

I cut them shy of the soffit/fascia line on the 10m long lean to I did. Then added noggins which I could get spot on and lined up. Just another option

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back