Leasehold - loft board for storage only - selling home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'd really appreciate some advice please...

We own a leasehold on a one bed apartment sitting above garages and with a roof directly above.

The lease does not include the roof space. However, we have access via hatch and installed a pull down ladder four years ago. We installed loft boards directly on the existing ceiling joists, staggering and screwing properly. About 75% of the loft is boarded. We use this for light storage only.

We did not seek consent of the Freeholder. We did the work ourselves with no inspections etc.

We are now selling our home and I am concerned this could be a problem when the buyers / banks building surveyor inspects the property.

Should I remove all of the boards? (Seems a shame as its a really neat and useful job).

If I do remove the boards - what about the screw holes left in the joists?

I'm grateful for your help.

All the best, Dan

Sponsored Links
I'm concerned that a building surveyor will see the boards when inspecting the roof space an raise as an issue with buyers. The boards are laid properly but directly onto ceiling joists which I did not reinforce - is this ok? The boards and ladder are a benefit as they offer good storage.

Thanks you for your advice. Dan

Sponsored Links
the surveyor would be trespassing if he enters the roof space without the owners permission

If the surveyor asks about the hatch, just say you don't know what's up there as it belongs to the freeholder.

Leave it.

Only if requested would you need to remove the boards, and there would be no other issues to worry about.

I'm concerned that a building surveyor will see the boards when inspecting the roof space an raise as an issue with buyers. The boards are laid properly but directly onto ceiling joists which I did not reinforce - is this ok? The boards and ladder are a benefit as they offer good storage.

Thanks you for your advice. Dan

You are worrying over nothing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back