Leaving engine running without keys in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old 1.9l Berlingo diesel van. If I modified the engine shut off so that the engine will continue to run even with the ignition keys removed, am I likely to damage the alternator / charging system ?

Sponsored Links
Some alternators are 'machine sensed', and if these are rotated without being connected to a circuit, then they will be destroyed. However, I suspect yours is 'battery sensed'. Therefore, if the field windings are not energised (which they won't be if the ignition is turned off), then it will be perfectly safe to run the engine with the ignition switched off in the manner you suggest. Why do you want to modify your vehicle to do this ??

Why would you want to do that?

Be careful though, if you leave your vehicle unattended with the engine running, its illegal and you may get a fixed penalty!

Still curious as to why you would want to do it though :confused:

Sponsored Links
Some alternators are 'machine sensed', and if these are rotated without being connected to a circuit, then they will be destroyed. However, I suspect yours is 'battery sensed'. Therefore, if the field windings are not energised (which they won't be if the ignition is turned off), then it will be perfectly safe to run the engine with the ignition switched off in the manner you suggest. Why do you want to modify your vehicle to do this ??

WHY? Explain?

hmmm, the curious law of "Quitting"; and it wouldn't surprise me if the police consider a breach of this law far more seriously than speeding or use of mobile while driving.

I wonder if the police get bored with catching the easy and obvious over and over again. In the same way a Twitcher likes to spot many different species of birds while on a walk, I wonder if plod considers a 34 in a 30 just another blackbird and really wishes to spice up his day with a Kingfisher or Arctic Turn. I wonder if any officers have a book of offences and tick off as many as possible, maybe they sit about in the police station jelously looking at each others tick lists, I certainly would :LOL:

Thanks for the above answers, I guess allowing the engine to run without the ignition turned on is unlikely to cause harm to the alternator or other vehicle electrics.

hmmm, the curious law of "Quitting"; and it wouldn't surprise me if the police consider a breach of this law far more seriously than speeding or use of mobile while driving.

I wonder if the police get bored with catching the easy and obvious over and over again. In the same way a Twitcher likes to spot many different species of birds while on a walk, I wonder if plod considers a 34 in a 30 just another blackbird and really wishes to spice up his day with a Kingfisher or Arctic Turn. I wonder if any officers have a book of offences and tick off as many as possible, maybe they sit about in the police station jelously looking at each others tick lists, I certainly would :LOL:

Thanks for the above answers, I guess allowing the engine to run without the ignition turned on is unlikely to cause harm to the alternator or other vehicle electrics.

I quite like the idea of the police having an i-Spy book of motoring offences, and ticking them off...Catch serial killer, tick, Crack premiership footballer gang bang tick, catch someone doing 36 in a 30, tick, but no kudos...Catch a bypassed ignition key, don't bother coming back to the nick..

Maybe the OP want's to install a starter button, and pretend the van is a f1 car? Kits are available on ebay..

Sorry chaps, I've been working. A machine sensed alternator is fitted with permanent magnets, so as soon as you spin it, it creates an electrical current. If this current has nowhere to go because it's not connected to a circuit, it will go back into the field windings, and this will create an even greater output. This process continues until it blows the electronics contained within the unit. A battery sensed alternator will not generate any current until you energise (excite) the field windings with an electrical feed. If you don't supply a feed, then you can spin the unit as much as you like and it will not cause any damage to the unit.

On some performance cars the engine can continue to run on tick over to protect the turbos after switching off then automatically shut off after the required period of time, maybe our friend requires this for his turbo protection.

Sponsored Links
Back