LED bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A relative is getting an energy grant for amongst other things putting in energy saving bulbs.

One lamp she uses a lot is her standard lamp. I've looked at GLS LED bulbs but they all seem to have a large portion of the bulb near the connection end covered in plastic.

Obviously if the bulb is facing downwards there is no problem, but facing upwards would this make this type of bulb unsuitable for this application because of a 'dark area' or does the bulb dissipate the light as well as a normal GLS one?

Sponsored Links
LED's are very directional, and emit light nothing like a incandescent GLS lamp.

CFL's are about as close as you'll get to the output from an incandescent lamp i'd imagine

We tend to reflect and diffuse light with shades the normal table light works OK. Where plain clear glass shades are used then yes may be a problem but in the main it works OK.

Thanks for the replies.

I personally don't like CFL's and think the output is a bit poor for her old eyes!

I have replaced GU10's for LEDs in my office and am quite happy with them but it was a bit of a 'hit and miss' job.

I wish there was a place where you can actually see these LEDs in action!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back