led downlights for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about purchasing some LED fire rated down-lights for a 4 metre x 2.4 metre bathroom (I shall get a leccy to put them in though lol). Would I be right in thinking that 3 x (equiv 50 halogen watt) downlights would suffice for this size of room... or 4 x equiv 35 halogen watt ones. I wouldn't want it too bright in there. They would be either IP66 or IP65. I shall be also getting shaver light for over the mirror.

Grateful in advance for any advices.

Sponsored Links
Why do people not mention the height of their ceiling? It is the single most important factor when calculating what the lighting level will be once the little rays have managed to get themselves to the floor, or whatever it is that you want to light up.

Personally, I would have the electrician get the correct downlights for you. There are a number of things to consider (not just electrical) and he/she will need to declare that everything complies with building regulations.

For example: Why do you think you think you need fire-rated downlights.
Is the bathroom ceiling a fire barrier?

Hi Thanks for your reply Taylortwocities. its 227 cms high and it has an attic above it (plasterboard ceiling - plenty of loft space really) Thought maybe I would be making it easier really by getting some safe and decent lights ready. I have yet to get some decent builders in to put in pipework etc, I will see if they know of a good leccy to check and If i can go ahead and buy them.
With regards to fire rated I assume that they would be safer (peace of mind) ? I was looking at a JCC firegueard or Ledlite.
Bit worried that I would get something that wasnt decent. Had a builder in once to put extractor in downstairs bathroom and he put in £12 noisy one, no vent shutters in or outside, the shower curtains were billowing, was freezing. So maybe im being sceptical though I guess it was a one off experience. Just want the job right I guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back