LED G9 lamps constantly failing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my lounge we have a ceiling lighting unit with 5 spiral arms.

The G9 2.5W Led bulbs last no time all.

I fitted 5 new lamps 6 weeks ago, only 2 are now working.
They seem to flicker before finally failing.

Any ideas would be appreciated,........Thanks.

Sponsored Links
IMG_1592.JPG

Sponsored Links
Amazon customers are giving a LOT of bad reviews saying the same. Chances are that they are fake. I bought some fake Kingston SD cards last week, and had to get a refund. There's a lot of it about!

Last edited:
Hi Trazor,

Never buy bulbs from places like Amazon and eBay. There are a lot of fakes and rubbish quality bulbs on them websites. I've had some last only a day or so many times and have learnt my lesson. Always buy them from reputable companies that sell ones that are made to UK/European standards. Never had any problems with Screwfix, B&Q and Toolstation own brands personally.

Regards,
Huggybear.

I found I could not get G9 bulbs local, they all had a shimmer on them when used with an electronic smart switch. In the end my wife got some from the internet, illegal as did not have watts or lumen marked on the bulb, and far bigger than the orignal so covers no longer fitted, and also much brighter.

But they worked, well one failed and I opened it to see what was inside and found a dry joint re soldered and put back into service now some 3 years old.

I think the problem is making them small enough to fit in covers, which are not really required by LED versions but essential with quartz versions.

Have you tried without covers? And have you got SPD fitted? I have no proof a SPD is required, but it would depend where you live, the larger ones had a massive smoothing capacitor inside nearly as big as the whole of the old bulb.

Have you tried without covers? And have you got SPD fitted? I have no proof a SPD is required, but it would depend where you live, the larger ones had a massive smoothing capacitor inside nearly as big as the whole of the old bulb.

Covers are open lattice work, so fully ventilated.

Surge protection in operation.

Going for some Screwfix lamps......touch wood.

Osram have started putting a scannable QR code on the packaging of their more expensive car bulbs so you can verify if they are genuine

No details on bulbs
The type on the left in the first post #11 pic have lots of LEDs in series. The bulbs I've got have 75 LEDs apparently in series, so their total forward voltage is about 3 x 75 = 225V, hence with mains voltage applied they don't need much (if any) in the way of a voltage-dropper in series. I think the type on the right have fewer LEDs and a voltage-dropper capacitor. Using a capacitor can result in a current surge at power-up, which is a possible cause of the early demise of the bulb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back