LED Light Fixture Has no Ground - Solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some LED light fixtures that were bought from China. They are generally all metal with a plastic shroud to cover up the guts of the fitting. Inside they have an LED transformer.

I've wired a few up and they work perfectly, but the issue is that they have no attachment for the ground wire. With these types of fittings, there's no bulb to replace so no one should be touching it unless the thing breaks. I'd still like to make sure it's properly wired up though.

Some images below of the fitting:

Appreciate any suggestions on what to do - other light fixtures I've put in the house have been from IKEA and they had grounding screws attached to the body of the fitting already, but they were also traditional bulb based fittings.

Sponsored Links
I would fit an earthing tag to the case for when that driver module self destructs.

Too many of these CE ( Cheap Excrement ) devices break down, over heat or otherwise become charred remains connected to the 230 volt supply and, with charred insulation, there is often an unwanted connection to the case.

If those lights were from over here or European, they would either have an earth terminal if class 1, or a symbol indicating that they are class 2 and don't require an earth connection.

Anything electrical from China is asking for trouble - you might as well chuck them away now.

I appreciate that they may not be the best quality but do consider that the majority of electronics is made in or around China and just imported.

If I can firmly attach the ground wire to the casing then that should do the job, I suppose am earth tag or screw would work in that case.

If the LED transformer breaks and I have to replace the whole thing, so be it.

Sponsored Links
I appreciate that they may not be the best quality but do consider that the majority of electronics is made in or around China and just imported.
Yes, but there's a difference between buying something from a UK retailer, and "made by", (even if outsourced to China) an EU company, and buying something direct from China. With the latter you have absolutely no guarantee that the quality is OK, that it is remotely safe, and there is not one person or legal entity involved in the manufacture or sale of the item who is within reach of UK or EU laws. If it goes wrong and causes you loss or harm you will have no recourse anywhere against anybody.

Cheap electronic power supplies and LED lamps from China do go wrong, and do catch fire, and do expose people to lethal voltages. And they do so readily enough to make it madness to risk your house and your lives for the sake of saving a few quid.

The power supply inside is CE marked, and that might be genuine, or it might not. You've no way of knowing and there's no disincentive for the maker to lie about it.

The light itself is not CE marked, and so should not be on sale in the EU. It carries no Class II or Double Insulated notices, so it should be earthed, and is not. What does that tell you about the maker's attitude to safety and regulatory compliance?

Appreciate any suggestions on what to do.
Throw them away.

Seriously.

I was wondering if the Queen had saved money by having Chinese imports that resulted in
windsor-fire.jpg

there is not one person or legal entity involved in the manufacture or sale of the item who is within reach of UK or EU laws
There is - the purchaser!
The light itself is not CE marked, and so should not be on sale in the EU. It carries no Class II or Double Insulated notices, so it should be earthed, and is not. What does that tell you about the maker's attitude to safety and regulatory compliance?
I agree.

I appreciate the candid replies, I realize there are a lot of dodgy knock-offs. Dong Lian is a fairly well respected brand in China however, and it complies to their national standards. Whilst not as rigorous as our own, they are still considered "safe". Some of the ones I have do have a proper ground so I don't see any issues with these. For the non-ground ones I may just replace those. Apart from the grounding issue, the LED driver could potentially fail but it is fused so that would just mean throwing it out in that case.

Taylortwocities, that fire was actually caused by a spotlight being covered by a curtain - I'm sure both the spotlight and curtain were up to EU standards at the time but you can never be too careful.

You can buy proper LED lights from Screwfix (Robus). I bought one for my bathroom and it works wonders, twice as bright as my old 2d unit, no flicker, and consume half the power.

that were bought from China

There's your problem! :rolleyes:

I can't see by your photos if these units a Class II double insulated and do not require a earth (shown by a square inside a square), or if they are Class I devices what do require an earth (shown by a earth symbol). Also, the CE mark on the power supply is a Chinese Export mark and NOT the CE mark of European Conformity. See here for more details on the difference.

Also, the tiny distance between the incoming live wire and the PCB worry's me! :cautious:

I would fit an earthing tag to the case for when that driver module self destructs.
&
Anything electrical from China is asking for trouble - you might as well chuck them away now.

Could not agree more.(y)

Having known branded stuff from reputable manufactures that is made in china that undergoes stringent design, testing and inspection to our standards versus stuff made on the extreme cheap in the Shenzhen market in china for export purposes that does not undergo the required level of design, testing, and inspection required to meet our electrical and safety standards is not the same thing!

I would strongly suggest you throw away these light fittings and buy some from a reputable manufacture here in the UK. It is simply not worth the risk!

Having known branded stuff from reputable manufactures that is made in china that undergoes stringent design, testing and inspection to our standards versus stuff made on the extreme cheap in the Shenzhen market in china for export purposes that does not undergo the required level of design, testing, and inspection required to meet our electrical and safety standards is not the same thing!

Even some UK branded equipment that has been manufactured "off shore" ( and China is not the only culprit ) can fail to meet UK standards if the UK brand owner does not carry out regular checks on the quality of items coming from the off shore factory. Several samples from every batch may need to be inspected / tested / taken apart to verify no changes in design have been made.

Grains of rice and other food debris have been found in imported goods. Snacking on the production line in the factory ?, possible. Manufacturing on kitchen tables ?, also possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back