Bathroom shaving light problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a new bathroom shaving light, swapping like for like.
Problem is although I fitted it exactly as per the instructions the light doesn't work.
I've checked the bulb, on/off corded switch etc and established that the problem lies with the 2 contact type switches? that remain open therefore stopping power reaching the bulb.
I'm at a loss what to do.
The actual shaver point isn't required so I wondered whether to simply leave the transformer unconnected and just have the power going to the bulb via the on/off switch.
the power is a spur off the upstairs lighting ring.
Please any advice and can anyone explain how these contacts/relays? work and their purpose?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
As EFLI says. The contacts are a safety gizmo so that live contacts are not exposed to your wet fingers when you change the lamp.

It is a well fact that people get straight out of the shower and, while still wet, set about changing their bathroom lights.:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I was thinking it needed the shaver plugged in. Most shaver points don't energise the transformer until the shaver plug is in the hole. I know this has caused problems with over heating when used to charge a tooth brush, or rechargeable shaver. Designed for intermittent use only. Seems daft as since I started to shave some 45 years ago there have been rechargeable shavers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back