LED Downlight faulty - Strobe effect

If you have acomplaint about the labelling, contact the maker.
I've said this to you before. Don't confuse the DIYer with pointless minutae.

Sadly the makers don't take any notice.

But it is not pointless minutae. There is no reason for confusion either. You are causing confusion by arguing.

Sponsored Links
He doesn't want to do that.

He prefers to trawl the forum for mentions of the "t" word and pompously bang on about how these items are not what their manufacturers claim them to be.:rolleyes:

I am not doing that. But when a member or DIYer uses the wrong term I am enlightening him/her.

Winston1, unlike Taylortwocities, you've been of no help. I simply wanted to know:-

1. What possibly is causing the strobe effect
2. What type of transformer I required if needed replacing

Instead you dragged it into a silly debate. If you've got nothing interesting to say or want to have general debates about manufacturers, then I suggest you start a discussion in the GENERAL DISCUSSION forum and not spam someone else's thread.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me. Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I did help but you chose to ignore it.

I told you that you were using the wrong device which was not a transformer. I also said that you needed a proper LED power supply. Simple.

Others turned it into a silly debate not me. I also pointed out that there was another thread devoted to the subject of transformers which was also ignored.

If you don't take notice of advice freely given I suggest you don't ask the questions.

If you don't take notice of advice freely given I suggest you don't ask the questions.

You're NUTS!

Everyone is free here to ask questions and subsequently take the advice from some and not others.

You were not compelled to write your advice and s/he is certainly not compelled to take it!!

FFS....

I'm not nuts. The OP asked for advice. I freely gave advice which he chose to ignore. But to then accuse me of being no help was rude as well as being untrue.

I'm not nuts. The OP asked for advice. I freely gave advice which he chose to ignore.
Only that the advice that you gave was the same as the advice that I had already given (and note that I deliberately did not use the "T" word in my post #2!).
The only reason that you posted was so that you could bleat your usual drivel about terminology that adds NO value to the discussion.

Come back
ban.gif

It is not drivel. It is factually correct.

It is very common for 2 or more people to give similar advice.

I did help but you chose to ignore it.

I told you that you were using the wrong device which was not a transformer. I also said that you needed a proper LED power supply. Simple.

Others turned it into a silly debate not me. I also pointed out that there was another thread devoted to the subject of transformers which was also ignored.

Why should I or anyone else as a matter of fact stop asking questions just to please the likes of you? It's not your forum, nor are you one of the mods.

If you want to help then just give a straight answer to the OP's question and don't just waffle on with your irrelevant nonsense.

Well if you had taken notice of my OP, you'd realise that
It is not drivel. It is factually correct.

It is very common for 2 or more people to give similar advice.

Your advice is not similar to anyone's, but just a load of twaddle. Stick to the topic and help others if you can and others will appreciate you, otherwise best to keep quiet.

untitled-7-jpg.105319

GB
1. Connecting the lamp to electronic transformers that are not designed for LED applications can lead to flickering or damage the lamp.
2. Be sure to consider an eventually required base load on the secondary side when using an electronic transformer.
3. LED lamps should function seamlessly with conventional (magnetic and/or wound) transformers.
Just got 4 lamps, it calls them GU5.3 although I thought they were G5.3 from Lidi, the instructions may not have been translated well from German, but it does show how you need to load up "Electronic Transformers" to over their minium output.

The card that comes with the lamp also says 50 Hz, so I was wrong to say they need a DC supply. I fitted 4 x 3W lamps connected to a 200 VA wire wound transformer and they worked, how long they will continue to work is another question, they replaced 4 x 0.58W lamps so had they been working they would have used 5 times MORE energy than what they replaced, however the card says uses up to 86% less energy, since they have no idea what the lamp is replacing clearly they have no idea how much power is saved.

Why should I or anyone else as a matter of fact stop asking questions just to please the likes of you? It's not your forum, nor are you one of the mods.

If you want to help then just give a straight answer to the OP's question and don't just waffle on with your irrelevant nonsense.

Well if you had taken notice of my OP, you'd realise that

Your advice is not similar to anyone's, but just a load of twaddle. Stick to the topic and help others if you can and others will appreciate you, otherwise best to keep quiet.

YOU are the OP. You are free to ask questions but it is rude to dismis correct answers. Nothing I said was irrevalent. You were trying to use the wrong device and we're getting flickering and I told you why. It was on topic and not twaddle but correct facts.

YOU are the OP. You are free to ask questions but it is rude to dismis correct answers. Nothing I said was irrevalent. You were trying to use the wrong device and we're getting flickering and I told you why. It was on topic and not twaddle but correct facts.
But that is also incorrect, the device was not wrong, you can use LED lamps with transformers be they wire wound or electronic. The instructions with the Lidi LivarnoLux lamps detailed exactly what to do, OK some poor English, but it did show the problem and how to solve it. The picture of 3 x 3W with a 10 - 80 VA supply showed it being wrong, and the picture of 4 x 3W with a 10 - 80 VA supply showed it as right, maybe far better than any discription.

It really does not matter if I call it a transformer, a power supply, a driver, or a box of tricks, all that matters is the reader knows what I am talking about.

The BIG problem is two names for what is nearly the same thing. We buy a lamp maked as 5W but the box of tricks which supplies it is marked 10VA.

Being perdantic then volts times amps times power factor correction = watts. But power factor correction is some where near unity, so for the man in the street VA = W. And this is the problem, the guy does not need a detailed explanation on how the current wave form and voltage wave form may not match, all he needs to know is.

Total watts of bulbs must be within the two limits expressed as VA on the box of tricks. Simple, no need to use words like driver, switch mode power supply, pulse width modulated, AC, DC, transformer, or electronic transformer.

The box of tricks needs to match the total wattage of lamps connected to it, neither is right or wrong, no one said the hole should have been round and your digging it square, but that silly guy with the bollerhat. And the song writer knew what to do with silly guys, he burried them.

Some "boxes of tricks" will work with LEDs, some won't, some require at least 4 to work. Unless Lidl have tested them with all types they are dodgy ground to suggest they will work. Especially as the manufacturer has stated on the box that they are for 50 Hz.

I don't agree that it does not matter what you call your "box of tricks". The man in the street may not know the difference, I would hope the man you buy it from does and you certainly don't want to end up with the wrong thing.

Yes I reaslise the man in the street does not know the difference between VA and W. It can be important with poor power factor, some lamps are far from unity as well. Just one of the problems with DIY I'm afraid. In the same way the man in the street does not know the difference between a PZ and PH screwdriver

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back