LED Downlight faulty - Strobe effect

Sponsored Links
Some folk use an unwritten two thirds rule.

Only load LED drivers to a maximum of 2/3 of their rating.

Seems to work.

Some folk use an unwritten two thirds rule.

Only load LED drivers to a maximum of 2/3 of their rating.

Seems to work.
I think that's a fairly safe rule of thumb. 2/3 of 16 is 10.666... so happy with my top of my head estimation. Don't really have a lot to do with LED drivers tbh, we mostly just use mains stuff with integrated drivers.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

I have five bathroom downlights. Four are working perfect, but one is faulty. After turning the light switch on, this faulty one is flashing/strobing really fast. It's like being in a nightclub.

I've already replaced the led bulbs, but it still does the same. I'm not very knowledgeable, but I think it might be a faulty transformer or something.

Below, I've attached pictures of what looks like a blue transformer, but I don't know what the other white part is.

Could anyone please kindly post a few links from ebay/amazon to help me find a replacement for these parts as I don't know what to order and want to make sure I get the right parts.

Thank you.

That is NOT a transformer. There is a thread on these forums about the mis-describing of transformers. That is a PWM switch mode power supply and is not suitable for LEDs. You need a proper LED power supply, sometimes incorrectly described as an LED driver.

Is that a bee in a bonnet that I can see?[/QUOTE

Not at all. It is yet another poster trying to use LED fittings with the wrong supply. Not the OPs fault of course, because these problems are not well known in the DIY world.

In the same way you can't run a petrol car on diesel you can't run LEDs on supplies designed for halogen lights.

That is a PWM switch mode power supply and is not suitable for LEDs. You need a proper LED power supply,
He had already been advised that MAY resolve his problem, so your real reason for hauling out your hobby horse was so you can again go over your personal ploughed field.

If you really want to assist him, maybe you could advise him why the other 4 lights DO work with the original blue boxes.

Thanks for all your help.

Looking at my photos in first post, what's the other white/beige part hanging off the transformer? Does this also need to be replaced?

Thanks for all your help.

Looking at my photos in first post, what's the other white/beige part hanging off the transformer? Does this also need to be replaced?

As I said that is NOT a transformer. It is a PWM switch mode power supply and is not suitable for LEDs.

@winston1 , still no real help to the poster, I see.:rolleyes:

@homemove there is a handy ignore feature, should you decide not to see posts from unhelpful/confusing posters. Just click on their name and you'll get their profile panel.
Click on ignore. Hey presto, instant pedant removal!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back