LED light installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed some LED strips on a ceiling but power supply is currently in the "prototype stage" in the eaves above that room and just looking for any advice on the best permanent solution.

The controller is 5V very low power USB connection, it controls a relay that turns on the power to a 200W power supply for the strips as shown in the diagram (5V is actually fed in to the strips at several points to overcome voltage drop and the demands on the strip power rails, and the 0V of the DC supplies are connected)

lights_power.png

I'm wondering if adding the single socket in the eaves to a very convenient ring main location is acceptable? The power supply could plug into the socket and the controller into the built in USB - seems the simplest solution.

Alternatively I could add a fused FCU with flex outlet into the ring and connect the power supply straight into that, and also add a socket for the USB connection.

Sponsored Links
Surly there is a lighting circuit in the roof ?
I can probably find one, its just quite close to a wall socket in the dormer which would be handy, and I was also a bit unsure about connecting a USB supply/adapter onto the lighting circuit as I'm sure I cant just add a 13A socket?

... connecting a USB supply/adapter onto the lighting circuit as I'm sure I cant just add a 13A socket?
Here we go... There is no reason not to do this if the circumstances make it a useful approach. The regulation book BS7671 specifically allows it. The only thing it to make sure it doesn't cause an issue later on and the best way, in my opinion, to do this is to stick a label on the socket explaining what it's for and saying not to use for anything else. There is a pedant on this forum who will jump in and say it is bad practice. Feel free to ignore him.

Sponsored Links
I've been having a read through some other threads and yeah it seems a labelled socket on the lighting cct would be ok. I'll have a root around if its preferable to connect to the lighting cct - its a bit more of a wriggle through the eaves storage areas to get to the lighting circuits whereas there is a socket right next to the access door.

if the lighting circuit is too much of struggle, is there anything actually wrong with wiring into the ring main, given suitable fusing? This is additional lighting rather than "the big light" :D

I'm wondering if adding the single socket in the eaves to a very convenient ring main location is acceptable?
The usual advice on here is that it's perfectly alright to add a socket onto a (pedantically) ring final as long as you are sure it IS a ring final and that the circuit is protected by an RCD (all new sockets must be RCD protected).

edit: EFLI beat me to it.

Probably too late, but running high powered LED strips at 5V is rather insane. 24V strips would have been a far better choice as the current involved and volt drop would have been significantly less. As it is, you have 40 amps from that power supply which will require 6mm² cables.

The USB adaptor can be connected to any conveniently located circuit.

Probably too late, but running high powered LED strips at 5V is rather insane. 24V strips would have been a far better choice as the current involved and volt drop would have been significantly less. As it is, you have 40 amps from that power supply which will require 6mm² cables.

The USB adaptor can be connected to any conveniently located circuit.

yes I am aware of that, but when I was looking there didn't seem to be anything reasonably priced at the higher voltage for individually addressable LEDS. What I have ended up with is 4 feeds from the power supply to points along the strip in 1.5mm² cable. In reality, it is never going to draw anywhere near 40A unless its at full brightness white which isn't the intention. The colours will be more subdued or funky effects going on which dont drive them all full white at once.

I've been having a read through some other threads and yeah it seems a labelled socket on the lighting cct would be ok. I'll have a root around if its preferable to connect to the lighting cct - its a bit more of a wriggle through the eaves storage areas to get to the lighting circuits whereas there is a socket right next to the access door.

if the lighting circuit is too much of struggle, is there anything actually wrong with wiring into the ring main, given suitable fusing? This is additional lighting rather than "the big light" :D
Putting a 13 amp socket on the lighting circuit IS BAD PRACTICE. The reason is someone could clearly plug a 13 amp load into it and plunge the house into darkness even if it is labelled. In a loft this could be particularly dangerous. Just because the (non statuary) regs allow it does not make it OK. The regs have been wrong before and subsequently changed.

Nothing wrong with taking it from the ring with suitable fusing.

Dont start all this again Winston. At least say that in your opinion
Putting a 13 amp socket on the lighting circuit IS BAD PRACTICE.

If it were so dangerous and bad practice it would not be allowed by BS7671. As correctly stated above:
The regulation book BS7671 specifically allows it.

It is not wrong, it is you who is wrong by riding this particular hobby horse of yours over the @daveaspy topic.

For heavens sake, be helpful, or shut up.

The problem is that newcomers to the forum seeking advice do not know that Winston1's opinions are his opinion and not factual and thus will not have him on immediate "Ignore"

I agree. It was just a light-hearted gesture born out of desperation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back