Led light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this led light got installed in my kitchen like 4 months ago. One line of the lights have already gone out! Is it because it is a poor quality led light? Its not a tube led light. The whole light would need to get changed
IMG_2279.jpeg

Sponsored Links
It seems to be mainly down to luck, I had a LED tube last only 18 months and most of that time house was empty, replacement still working when I left.

I have talked a few times spikes on the supply, with any electronic equipment not supplied though some thing like a transformer which can reduce spikes to a safe level, there is always the possibility of spikes damaging the electronics. We have fitted surge protection devices for some time now, or some times called filters, and if we fail to use them, it is hard to blame the manufacturer when items don't last.

Personally I think if it needs some protection it should be built into the device, but I still fitted a SPD when I had my consumer unit changed.

However I have had a number of items fail, a smart socket, three smart switches, and around 5 bulbs in the last 3 years, and no idea if some thing whole with the item which failed, or spikes, but since I have not had a load all fail together I would assume more likely a manufacturing fault.

I have opened up a few bulbs, many are far too complex to work out why, 20220603_113820_small.jpg inside a GU10 bulb, but did open one bulb and find a simple dry joint. I have two integral lamps, the one outside cost me £4 so if it goes it cost less than a bulb normally costs, the one in my hall way my wife also selected, and up to now working OK. But in the main I aim for bulbs and tubes so easy to change.

Last edited:
Most electrical products carry a warranty.
Return the faulty product for replacement. If it was supplied by someone else, call them to resolve the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back