LED florescent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have florescent tubes in the lights in my garage and would like to replace them with LED Tubes, so what LEDs will give the brightest glow? and is it just a matter of getting the same size LED tube and fitting it into the old fitting?

Sponsored Links
Usually to fit led tubes you need to adapt the fitttings internal wiring and theres been questions lately regarding there safety.

Nowadays its more reliable to change to a pre made led fitting

LED tubes will fit into existing fittings, provided they are switch start (with a starter in the side).

However prepare for disappointment in the light output.
An example - a 5ft 58W fluorescent tube is about 5200 lumens.
These LED tubes use less than half the energy:
http://gb.auroralighting.com/Produc...40V-Rotatable-1500mm-T8-Frosted-LED-Lamp.aspx
but they are only are 2200 lumens, less than half the light output.

They are also more than 10x the cost of a replacement fluorescent tube.

If you want LEDs, far better to replace the fitting for one specifically designed for LEDs.

LED tubes will fit into existing fittings, provided they are switch start (with a starter in the side).

Are you sure they are legal in this country, i am not sure how they can work and be safe to use

Sponsored Links
Thought it was too good to be true, guy at local shop, "ah its only a matter of removing the old tube and starter and replacing it with a new LED tube"

most do come with internal instructions to adapt the wires.

A basic fleurescent fitting has LIVE one end and NEUTRAL at the other.

If a led tube was fitted direct then for it to work the LED internals would have to be made with wiring end to end, hence a 50% chance if you removed the tube live and touched the end pins you would be electrocuted.

Some safer tubes have instructions to adapt the fitting so LIVE and NEUTRAL are at the same end, problem there is ever a normal tube is fitted, then it could shatter, these rely on you fitting a Warning sticker.

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...ls/product-safety-unit/led-replacement-bulbs/

You can get a belt off flouro tubes if you touch the end pins whilst inserting them too, (voice of experience!!)

Yup!

Seen it happen, but never done it!!!

(Honest, guv... ;) )

Yeah, but surely thats something induced into the cathode as opposed to the led internal mechanics physically wired to the pins, some of which are a lethal combination of voltage and current with regards to earth

I get what you are saying, I'm just saying I don't see why one is ok but the other isn't.
I'm pretty sure a shock from a flouro could throw someone off a ladder.

LED tubes should be constructed in such a way that there is no connection between pins at opposite ends of the tube.
Some are like that, plenty are not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back