Trendy?? Floursent lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive got the 4x50w spots in my kitchen and i never been pleased with the light they provide ,no ive moved over to LED bulbs they are no better.
Ive got an old Florescent light tube fitting in the utility room and that's excellent but very ugly .

Are there any chrome / silver florescent tube lighting that would be ok in a kitchen

thanks

Sponsored Links
In my view there is no substitute for proper under-unit fluorescent lighting, giving good illumination of the worksurfaces.

If you have wall units with light pelmet that can accommodate them, they are your best option.

Sponsored Links
Google "2D kitchen lamp" there are quite a few round and square models. Better if electronic tubes last longer faster start and uses less power by electronic I mean high frequency (HF).

LED do seem to have taken over from florescent but it's not clear cut. The PL-S or G23 folded florescent tube has the same light output per watt as many LED lamps but at 11W you would need a lot of them. But the multi-folded tube of the normal CFL as used to replace bulbs is not nearly as good.

Lighting is complex and I wanted to install a lamp for my mother who sleeps down stairs so she could switch it at door and bed. I did not want to chase into walls so selected a wall up lighter so it would not shine in her eyes wanted a SES LED bulb but could not find one that day so a 40W quartz halogen was used. The result was far brighter than expected. light reflection of the white ceiling really lights the room with very few shadows. It was not intended to do that only want enough light to see her way in and out of room.

I am sure if one took the GU10 spot light and instead of mounting on the ceiling you mounted on the wall pointing at a white ceiling they would work better.

Wall lights were the traditional way to light a room. It was simply that you could reach the lamp to light it. Also walls and ceilings were always white. I agree under counter lighting is good and with a marble colour work top it is surprising how much it lights the room.

NEVER get it wrong again !!!!
Flu - we sometimes get it.
ore - various types abound.
scent - hopefully she wears it well.

Flu ore scent

Fluorescent.

Never ever forget again - unless you are a complete cluking frunt.

-0-

NEVER get it wrong again !!!!
Does it really matter is color or colour as long as readers understand what has been said?

From time to time my spell checker moves from English (United Kingdom) to English (United States) so it auto corrects words it should not have done.

Why it missed correcting florescent to fluorescent I don't know neither are flagged as miss spelt.

May be if your so worried you can direct me how to remove miss spelt words from the data base I can find the add option but not remove option. In Mozilla Firefox unless you can give some useful comment on how to remove the word that is if it's actually miss spelt rather than having alternative spellings the no point in even pointing it out.

I did open persdict to check if I had accidentally added the word but only words I have added are:-
Lumens
fermentor
theroy
pentaprism
So it would seem florescent is in main dictionary. It means "the state or condition of being in flower or blooming". where fluorescent means "strikingly bright or glowing." bet they both come from same Latin word?

OK with Floursent it does show as miss spelt but you will notice that in the subject line the spell checker does not work. Clearly from the answers the miss spelling does not matter.

you will notice that in the subject line the spell checker does not work.
Neither does Firefox's inbuilt one:

screenshot_277.jpg

as it only looks at fields where you can enter more than one line. A bit odd, really.

What's that got to do with choosing light fittings?

STOP derailing every single topic in this forum for gods sake.

Oh look - it's another one of the pathetic fools who thinks that nobody will notice him criticising me, but not empip, who was the one who introduced the subject of spelling mistakes, nor eric who first mentioned spell checkers.

It wasn't aimed soley at you, but don't let that get in the way of you new tact of playing the victim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back