LED lighting in kitchen - help what components do I need

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to instal LED lighting strips in our new kitchen along the following:

1. LED strip along main run of kitchen units plinth (5.7 m long). There is a power cable going into light switch 1 from the end of the run

2. LED strip on kitchen island in 3 locations:
(a) along 3m plinth on one side of island
(b) along 3m plinth on other side of island
(c) along 1m shelves in island x 3 (so 3m in total there)
The island has a power cable going into it from switch 2

My question is what components do I need:

We want colour changing RGB 5050 strip (14 to 15W per metre). I presume I should just buy 3 rolls of 5m each from ebay? What make is good quality? I can't tell the difference.

We want to coordinate the colour changing all round the kitchen so the colours are changing together. What exact remote and components do I need to make ths happen.

What other components do I need? Drivers x4? Amplifier? RGB wire? connectors? What do each of these components do? And how should everything be connected? What does the amplifier do?

I approached a couple of websites online selling LED lighting but I am not getting consistent answers.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I want to instal LED lighting strips in our new kitchen along the following:

1. LED strip along main run of kitchen units plinth (5.7 m long). There is a power cable going into light switch 1 from the end of the run
And what does the power cable at the switch do?
If you haven't got a line/neutral and earth at the this switch( and the second switch) you will not be able to connect the leds or their (drivers if required) to the switch(es).
Surely this aspect of the lighting was taken into account when the kitchen and the its electrical circuits were initially designed.

As for the colours and them changing in harmony :LOL:

sorry I meant there is a power cable going into the island and another going into the end of the main run of cabinets.

Sponsored Links
sorry I meant there is a power cable going into the island and another going into the end of the main run of cabinets.
Okay I'm slightly confused by your reference to power cable - does that mean that you have a line/neutral and earth at the island and at the end of the main run of cabinets. I assume that these ends are in junction boxes of some kind. Switches sometimes just have a line/switch line and earth available.

Regarding your ebay proposal - since the lighting isn't actually going to be any value to the work that goes on in the kitchen - cheaper the better I suppose.

The normal route for wiring is l/n/e to the switch - then l/n/e to the driver and then just l/n from the drive to the lights (on some drivers they don't distinguish between l/n).

As for trying to get them to co-ordinate their colour and flashing in sync - haven't got a clue on that one - if it could be done then perhaps the manufacturers instructions will outline how.

ssharrow - have you thought about having floor tiles like these?

Super-Thin-LED-Dance-Floor-Tile-Panel-LT036001-.jpg

As for trying to get them to co-ordinate their colour and flashing in sync - haven't got a clue on that one - if it could be done then perhaps the manufacturers instructions will outline how.
Unless they make ones which are specifically designed to allow synchronisation, I very much doubt that it would be possible - each driver will have its own timer to control the sequencing, and no two will be absolutely identical.

Kind Regards, John

I understand from a famous website selling LED lighting that they sell a remote where you can sync up the RF unit on both side and then use one remote...so it seems like it is possible.

I understand from a famous website selling LED lighting that they sell a remote where you can sync up the RF unit on both side and then use one remote...so it seems like it is possible.
Yes but WHY?

Fair enough - as I said, if they makes ones specifically designed to be synchable, then it's obvioulsy possible - but I don't think it would be possible if they were not designed to be able to do that.

Kind Regards, John

Yes but WHY?
I think I can perhaps offer an answer to that one. Having lights all over a room which were constantly flashing and changing colour all over the place would be enough to drive some people mad fairly quickly - having different parts of the room doing that, but out of synch with other parts, might well drive them mad even more quickly :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back