Led lighting to existing lighting circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys just a quick question really..

I have an existing lighting circuit that has 3 standard lights and 6 spotlights currently running on it (240v direct to circuit downlighters)

In my bathroom I want to connect some led strip lighting (bathroom rated) but they currently use a standard 13amp plug transformer which then transforms them down to 12v DC
The easiest way for me to connect these would be via an existing lifting circuit that's behind the wall and I could gain access too but as it's on a lighting circuit (with a 16amp MCB I just want to double check this will be okay) my limited knowledge says as long as the MCB (16) is higher than the load (13) it will be okay but I don't want it to effect my existing lights too much and dim them..

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is your intention to add a socket outlet to the lighting circuit?
A socket outlet cannot be within 3 meters of the bath or shower, if it is situated in the bathroom.

As far as power ratings a calculation should be made with regards to you load demand and the size of MCB/Cable.
A 16A MCB will allow for a load of 3680 Watts, that would be over 60 number 60W lamps!

Be aware of the regulations regarding bathrooms and electrical equipment:
BS7671, Building controls notification and RCD protection.

Thanks for your reply.. I'm not going to use a socket outlet, I'm going to just wire it directly into the supply and it will be fully protected, i could always put a fused spur in the attic space where the cable runs if I needed extra protection

so I think it should be okay, there's only 3 lights each using energy saving light bulbs (60w max) and then the 6 down-lighters that have 50w gu10's in them

The cable size is 1.5mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back