LED Strip Lights - wiring to lighting circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone

I've been told I am installing these lights in to a new small drop ceiling in a bedroom:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071HSWBD2

Reading other helpful forum posts, I seem to need this type of LED driver:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NEW-LED-Driver-Transformer-240V/dp/B016AH5ABA

I'll be replacing the existing light fitting with this kit, so, all I do just connect the driver to the existing lighting circuit/lead for this room, and then wire up the strip to the driver?

Thanks for guidance (y)

Sponsored Links
quoting from the advert

ALL IN ONE KIT(POWER SUPPLY WITH BS CERTIFICATION): Package inluded 2 reels of 16.4ft led lights, AC adaptor, 44key IR remote and receiver box. No other accessories are required.We do not recommend to connected more than 32.8ft as the power adapter will exceed limited, and please unroll them for heat dissipation when testing more than 2 minutes.
and the picture shows a 13 amp plug is included.

She's said she doesn't want it connected via a plug :(

I've had a look up in the loft and there arn't any mains wires showing amongst the joists which is a tad shame as I would have popped a spur off

quoting from the advert

and the picture shows a 13 amp plug is included.

IF the plug is just a plug and does not contain any electronics then wire it to an Fused Connection Unit

0x1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Morning everyone

I've been told I am installing these lights in to a new small drop ceiling in a bedroom:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071HSWBD2
I would seriously advise against that product:

upload_2018-7-17_11-50-22.png

The problem is that Chinese manufacturers, and Chinese sellers, are outside the jurisdiction of the UK/EU, and far too many of them are making and selling dangerous and illegal products, lying about standards compliance, and so on.

Buying from a UK seller, who is importing from China, and who is bound by UK laws, or buying products from companies who have them made in China, but are bound by UK/EU laws, etc, is one thing, but going direct carries too many risks.

Thanks for that - didn't even spot it!

I would seriously advise against that product:

View attachment 144945

The problem is that Chinese manufacturers, and Chinese sellers, are outside the jurisdiction of the UK/EU, and far too many of them are making and selling dangerous and illegal products, lying about standards compliance, and so on.

Buying from a UK seller, who is importing from China, and who is bound by UK laws, or buying products from companies who have them made in China, but are bound by UK/EU laws, etc, is one thing, but going direct carries too many risks.

It's ironic that @ban-all-sheds accuses people of racism for correctly opposing the so-called "EU" and supporting Brexit, yet she makes openly racist remarks about Chinese products.

Oh dear, I'm afraid you have succumbed to the modern media sensationalistic hype of demonising someone a racist for complaining about anything related to any foreigner.

Critcising chinese products is not criticising the Chinese people.
It is not criticism because the people are Chinese.
Anyway, are the Chinese a separate race from other Eastern Asian country's peoples?

Complaining about an electrician who has done a bad job in Ireland would not be anti-Irish or anti-catholic, let alone racist.
You would not be a racist even if you hate the English.

Not really, if you read his post it quite clearly mentions buying Chinese products via/from a reputed UK /EU based supplier as they will be following UK/EU Regulations. Not totally against buying them?

Interesting

I'm not condoning anything as I'm really new here and have lots of technical know-how to learn by asking dumb questions (y)

What I do notice across a variety of age generations is how the Chinese are perceived, in the olden days they were simply copiers of products, in a short period of time they are now innovators, becoming the next superpower (or already so). So, I can see the general perception of 'dodgy chinese knockoffs' and can understand the argument, and I'm sure in cases that is still happening, however, as a lot of the US/UK branded goods are made in China and simply stamped, we really never know the product quality batch to batch, only when we touch and use the product

I'm having a real bad day, my newly installed rad has decided the TVR's are that fraction too small (poor quality ironically!) and my LS-X isn't working :ROFLMAO:

It's ironic that @ban-all-sheds accuses people of racism for correctly opposing the so-called "EU" and supporting Brexit, yet she makes openly racist remarks about Chinese products.

And it is a little surprising to find someone who advocates a united ireland supporting the process which will most likely result in an EUUK border between the two parts. Not that such politics have a place here!

I'd love to move to Ireland, lovely countryside and people, unfortunately I need to renovate my house first o_O

And it is a little surprising to find someone who advocates a united ireland supporting the process which will most likely result in an EUUK border between the two parts. Not that such politics have a place here!

Well if you are wiring it into the lighting circuit you won't need a FCU.
Exactly, just connect it to the cable that supplied the switched supply to the old light. (If the plug does contain electronics then put a socket on the cable that used to feed the light.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back