LED Lighting - Where do I start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to gut my current incandescent lighting system but don't where to even begin replacing it with LEDs - can anyone help? :)

Sponsored Links
I have been surprised at the light output from modern LED lamps. As a test I got some early GU10 lamps which were hopeless but latter tried again and the 2W LED lamp was giving out nearly same light at 8W Compact florescent.

However to group bulbs together does not really work what is needed is even spread between the bulbs and also many LED lamps give out a spot light beam rather than even spread like the old bulb.

So a bulb with base at bottom can end up giving out more light than same bulb with base at the top because the light is reflected from the ceiling but not from the carpet.

In theory the lamp should last years and I have had no failures with GU10 and SES lamps but the MR16 (12v) have failed although they were very cheap.

What is important is being able to buy the bulbs at a reasonable price and at 2W they as sold where I live at around £3 each but for 6W nearly £10 each if you can even find them.

Really I need to swap my pair of fittings for at least 4 but that means rewiring so I use standard lamps to increase the spread.

The whole idea of comparing tungsten to LED or CFL watt to watt does not work as the low energy lamps need less distance between them so although 60W tungsten is about the same as 10W LED to get same light would need 3 x 3W LED even spaced not one single 10W LED as the light does not travel as far.

Sponsored Links
i have a 10w in my 12x13ft dining room and the coverage is fine its about a 90w bulbs worth another 2w to give 12w would be better but 10w is fine
both screwfix and toolstation do 6/7w led but not downlighters
my kitchen is 7ftx14ft and is happy with a 7w one end and a 4w the other end
the 4w covers the first 1/3 and the 7w covers the last 2/3
my whole house is light up like an exmass tree on 65w

this gives a comfortable light a bright light would be around 20% more

Back