GL125 bubs that are not dim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I recently replaced the lighting in my mum's dining room.. She now has two pendant lights, They use LED (globe) EL125 bulbs. The room is unacceptably dark. Can anyone recommend LEDs with a rating that is significantly higher than the current 6w bulbs?

The manufacturer limits the 240v lights at 60w (for incandescent bulbs).

Tnx

Sponsored Links
With LED lights you need to look at the wattage and the lumen output and the colour (2700 is often called warm white and is very similar to older halogen lights)

if you know the lumen of the EL 125 , then make sure the replacements are much higher

hope this helps

Sponsored Links
I found a data sheet for the Osram P RF CLAS GL 125 6.5 W/827 E27 and it seems to be Retrofit CLASSIC GLOBE. So is aimed more for how it looks than for a set output, however it does say 806 lumen which is not a bad output for a 6.5 watt bulb.

I also had problems, clearly room was designed to have a 100 watt or more central tungsten lamp, and it seems most LED bulbs are designed to replace a 60 watt tungsten, and also the distribution of light also alters, to get the spread I wanted and the lumen the single bulb needed to be replaced with a multi bulb chandelier, in my case 8 x 6W LED and still we need to use uplighters, cabinet lights, and spot lights to do light intensive work like my wife's many crafts.

The problem is that also means multiple switches to turn on the lights, my cure is google Nest Mini's and voice commands, others may use Alexa either result is being able to use voice commands.

I found the move to LED far from satisfactory, main house has 7 main rooms, of them 5 have had extra lights fitted, and the kitchen really could do with extras, using under counter lights and hob light to supplement the main lights. Rest chandeliers fitted, or extra pendent or spot lights.

We have one odd lamp with LED filaments. These lamps 1692830699933.pnglike you have fitted should give a better spread, however when visiting pubs with these lamps I have a problem reading the menu. They do seem mainly used for decoration, but my cabinet lights are designed for decoration 20230227_170703_1.jpghowever turn to white and also reduce the dimming and they can add a huge amount of light to the room. All lights on, and at max, likely around 120 watt of lighting in the room, although rare they are all turned up full.

The main change was tungsten shone in nearly all directions, the LED is in the main directional and so using the white ceiling to defuse and spread the light is important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back