New ES globe lightbulbs needed - branded better?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to fit a couple of ceiling pendants in the kitchen, and the fittings are standard ES/E27 with a 'Max 60W' warning. Globes would look best for the style of light, and since the pendant is enclosed I am conscious of heat shortening the life of any bulb.

As importantly I want to get something bright as it is a large room, and it seems like 18W or 24W LED would hopefully do the trick. So my question is.....

Online there are a lot of generic looking bulbs for a fiver - are they the wisest option, or are there branded versions which would be more reliable/more realistic light output figures/better heat resistance?

Any recommendations??

Sponsored Links
.... I want to get something bright as it is a large room, and it seems like 18W or 24W LED would hopefully do the trick. ....
I would have thought that 2 x 24W LEDs is quite a lot, even for a large room - probably equivalent to 300W+ of incandescent lighting.

Kind Regards, John

As said above an (actual) 18w or 24w LED lamp is going to be ridiculously bright! However an "18w" or "24w" LED lamp for a fiver from the likes of eBay probably won't be anywhere near that wattage and will be of questionable quality.

Stick to a trusted brand like Philips or Osram. At a guess (as we don't know the size of the room etc.) I'd say something around 1000 lumen's will be more than enough.

Sponsored Links
I dont trhink you can get 18w or 24w gls bulbs. The max most common I have seen is 12W which give out over 1000lm close to a 80w -100w old style bulb - especially if you get the 65000k colour, sometimes called cool white. BUT never go just by the description as they will vary as to how they are being described.
These may be ok https://www.toolstation.com/corby-lighting-led-gls-frosted-lamp/p59017

Last edited:
I dont trhink you can get 18w or 24w gls bulbs. The max most common I have seen is 12W which give out over 1000lm close to a 80w -100w old style bulb - especially if you get the 65000k colour, somteimes called cool white.
I think that ~15W GLS-style ones are fairly easy to find but, as you say, anything larger would probably have to be a different style (probably 'corn cob').

Kind Regards, John

I've found the LED bulbs from Home Bargains to be pretty good. Time will tell about longevity but none have failed yet. They do ES in 6, 9 and 12W. Even if you just used them to confirm the power needed, they're only £1.59 each.

I like the globes, and managed to get a couple of (I think) 20W LED ones by GE.

They replaced 24W CFL globes and seem a little brighter.

Big globes are quite difficult to find, and more expensive than commoner shapes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back