max wattage for 60w ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, seen similar posts elsewhere but not quite the same so thought I'd ask it. I've bought a ceiling pendant light which requires a max 60w e27 bulb. Unsurprisingly, this isn't bright enough. Can anyone suggest what the highest rated low energy bulb equivalent that I could use is (bearing in mind it needs to fit the same "connection")? (i.e. could I use a 100w or 200w low energy bulb?) I understand the main problem is the heat rather than the wattage....

If it helps re the heat aspect, the bulb is contained within a larger globe with various spaced sheets of aluminium (it is the sliced plate pendant light from Dwell).

Any help would be much appreciated! Marc

Sponsored Links
Its more to do with heat.

If its downward facing bulbs can overheat the wiring, upwards normally ok, unless there is a shade on it, that can not take the heat, or contains the heat within.

Can anyone suggest what the highest rated low energy bulb equivalent that I could use is (bearing in mind it needs to fit the same "connection")?
Dunno about "equivalent" as many makers are unduly optimistic in that regard, but the maximum you should fit is 60W. Higher would probably be OK, as less of the 60W goes out as heat, but it will be simpler to stick to what the maker says.

You may find that anything over 20-25W is too big anyway....

(i.e. could I use a 100w or 200w low energy bulb?) I understand the main problem is the heat rather than the wattage....
It is, but no way should you go to over 2x what the light is rated for, even if the % dissipated as heat is lower. And see above re size - 100-200W CFLs are seriously misnamed.

If it helps re the heat aspect, the bulb is contained within a larger globe with various spaced sheets of aluminium (it is the sliced plate pendant light from Dwell).
Take it with you to the shops - buy the biggest CFL which will fit - I guarantee you it will be less than 60W.

thanks for the info guys, very helpful. (the bulb is downward facing for the record)

I also forgot to state that there is currently a dimmer switch - is this ok?

Sponsored Links
cfl's don't generally like dimmers, unless they are the dimmable type, but these are more expensive

this is another case of form over function..
it's designed to look good not provide good light..
if you want good light then get a different fitting..

Although the fitting may be able to work with the heat generated using a 60W bulb once you move to discharge lighting one has to ask will the running gear work at that temperature.

Most CFU have the running gear built into the bulb and of course can run in free circulating air. However normally when discharge lamps are used inside a translucence container the running gear is mounted remote from the lamp often using the metal of the lamp as a heat sink.

Using a small CFU inside a fitting is unlikely to cause a problem. The 20W Dimmable CFU is 1300 lumens and is considered as being same output as 100W tungsten bulb. This is likely to be largest you can use without the heat damaging the unit.

But this will also depend on the minimum wattage of the dimming switch. Some units will not work with such a low output.

thanks for all the info guys, very very helpful all round. I'll try the 20w bulb, otherwise will look at changing the fitting.

Thanks again, and happy new year to you all!

You need to be careful when ordering "Dimmable" CFLs as some dim using a normal light switch and others using dimmers.
I think "Dimmerable" are the ones compatable with dimmer switches albeit just to be confusing some are labelled as dimmable.

will do Spark, thanks for the heads up. Would the Varilight 20w e27 energy saving bulb be ok do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back