Led lights have a flicker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve installed 16 of the 8 watt Enlite LED downlights. They are dimmable. The lights are operated by a single dimmer. The electrical wholesaler sold me this as the supported dimmer.
E378DDFF-12FA-4943-A896-2A5F36A18547.jpeg

However, this causes the lights to flicker when fully lit. I don’t notice a flicker when the dimmer is at its lowest setting.

I swapped the dimmer for a MK light switch and the problem does not seem to occur.

Do I have an unsupported dimmer and can you please advise on which one I should be using.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I’ve installed 16 of the 8 watt Enlite LED downlights. They are dimmable. The lights are operated by a single dimmer. The electrical wholesaler sold me this as the supported dimmer.
View attachment 277382

However, this causes the lights to flicker when fully lit. I don’t notice a flicker when the dimmer is at its lowest setting.

I swapped the dimmer for a MK light switch and the problem does not seem to occur.

Do I have an unsupported dimmer and can you please advise on which one I should be using.

Thanks in advance.
If you only have 8 of the down lights installed you probably only have a 40 w load (assuming the lights are 5 w each).
Your dimmer clearly shows a minimum load requirement of 60 w.

Sponsored Links
If you only have 8 of the down lights installed you probably only have a 40 w load (assuming the lights are 5 w each).
Your dimmer clearly shows a minimum load requirement of 60 w.
I’ve installed 16 of the 8 watt Enlite LED downlights.
@winston1 you need to read the question better, however you still may have a point, my electronic switches say minimum bulb wattage is 5 watt, and having 5 x 2.5 watt G9 bulbs did not work, it seems not down to total wattage but wattage of the bulb, which does not seem to make sense.

I struggled to get it to work, tried different makes, and the one bulb in the chart published by the switch manufacturer. Swapping one bulb for halogen worked, but is was in the end my wife who got some bulbs from the internet. G9-comp.jpgThe five bulbs did not last a day before one failed, so 4 spares ordered, once they arrived I looked at the failed bulb and decided to look inside, the smoothing capacitor in the larger bulb was nearly as big as the whole smaller bulb, also found dry joint cured and returned to service. But there is nothing on the specification of the bulb to show which have smoothing capacitors and which don't.

With the GU10 bulbs I had enough around the house to swap around until flicker stopped, I looked inside a failed GU10 out of interest, and it was far more complex 20220603_113820_1.jpg OK was a colour changing smart bulb, but you can see the capacitor and one assumes step down transformer, what I think is the problem is the components in the bulbs can have a miss match with the components in the switch, and unless switch and bulb are made by same manufacturer one can't guarantee they will not upset each other.

So looking at the spec sheet is says
MD9042 400W/Va 2 Way Resistive/Inductive Dimmer Module
which does seem to show this switch is NOT designed for LED. It clearly says:-
"Load Type Resistive / Inductive
Module Type Leading Edge Technology (MD9022 & MD9042)"

Unlike my electronic switch where it listed the bulbs found to work, many were LED.

I have had problems over the years with multi-lamps on a single switch, it really does depend on the inrush with the make of bulb you are using, Turkey was an eye opener with lighting, they went with reduced heat output lamps well before us, it is clearly hotter there. And they would split the lighting, normally 1/3 and 2/3 so three levels of lighting without a dimmer switch.

I have with one lamp done the same myself, want a dim bulb when wife already in bed on the landing, and bright when we are both up, so I used a smart relay, other option is smart bulbs, but 16 lights on one switch is a bit OTT.

The problem is bulbs don't tell you what's inside, you may be able to find a bulb which does not shimmer, but what do you do with the ones that do, easy cure is likely to fit one quartz bulb. But I had the same, now a draw full of bulbs, all new, but had shimmer.

The electrical wholesaler sold me this as the supported dimmer.
E378DDFF-12FA-4943-A896-2A5F36A18547.jpeg
Then he was wrong. That is not an LED dimmer. You need a Varilight V-Pro as previously stated.

You need to get the correct V-PRO dimmer. Get one of these
The spec is what you need:
Product Description: 1-Gang 2-Way Push-On/Off Rotary LED Dimmer 1 x 0-300W (Max 30 LEDs)

Not all V-Pro products have this spec, so buy the correct one!

Last edited:
A different wholesaler has recommended this and they have one in stock

Has anyone used or have any feedback on this?

Not used one. My go to, with vitrtually 100% success is Varilight.
Spec says it should cope, but note CEF says it’s out of stock until 6 October:eek:
Your local CEF may have one on a shelf somewhere.

Not used one. My go to, with vitrtually 100% success is Varilight.
Spec says it should cope, but note CEF says it’s out of stock until 6 October:eek:
Your local CEF may have one on a shelf somewhere.
Getting the Varilight model you mentioned. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back