LED lights on lighting switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Quick question.

Got some LED lights (pack of 10 at about 10W total power) - can these be connected up to a lighting circuit?

The pack had a transformer built into the plug - but obviously dont want these to go into a socket.

In addition, I need to hang 3 16W strip lights off the same switch.

The electrician basically presented me with a junction box for these to wire into - he said simply wire both sets into the same entry point on the junction box - is this correct?

cheers for any help (a couple more threads coming as well!).

Sponsored Links
It is - its behind a blanking plate.

For the LEDs I'm basically looking for a standalone transformer that will perform the job (understand it needs to be constant voltage for LEDs?) but that presents as a round plug/adaptor rather than have the LEDs wired directly in (the "junction box" for the LEDs has this type of input).

So you want to modify that so it can operate on a switch, rather than the plug?
No reason why not, the only issue would be the moulded plug if this removed some places invalidate the warranty.

Sponsored Links
Sorry PBoD not explaining myself very well.

The transformer itself is an integrated type - i.e. the plug and transformer are one unit...

Alternatively - can you connect up a "socket" for this purpose only to the lighting circuit???

Alternatively - can you connect up a "socket" for this purpose only to the lighting circuit???
Yes, just fit an unswitched single socket and plug the transformer into it.

The switch should be arranged to switch the socket on/off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back