LED reading light - 0.5w enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I'm planning to install some of those wall mounted LED flexible bedside lights and wondered if 0.5W would be bright enough? This is the lowest wattage I've seen - others are 1W and 3 W.

I just stayed in a hotel where they had them and to be honest they were plenty bright enough. However without destroying them, I couldn't see what wattage they were. (Left my tools behind - well I was on holiday!). My current tungsten table lights are 20W but are too bright and cannot be directed in the same way these flexible ones can.

Any ideas?

SB

Sponsored Links
It's always hard to judge the brightness of an LED based on wattage. For comparison, some 3W GU10s I just bought recently claim to be equivalent to a 20w halogen. Based on this, a 0.5w LED is about the same as a 3w halogen.

TBH, a single 5mm LED provides enough light for reading on its own, so you should be fine with the fitings you describe.

OK, I've done a quick photoshoot for you.

On the right: a 50 watt halogen.
On the left: a 1.8 watt capsule of 20 LEDs.

DSC00741.jpg

The LED lamp is plenty to read by, but I find the light a little harsh. This lamp fits into a standard mains halogen fitting.

thanks for the quick replies, and for the pic, crafty.

I found the hotel lights OK to read with, not too harsh , but think I'll go with the lowest wattage - the idea being that if Mr Sparkybird wants to read while I'm sleeping, then he won't wake me up!!

Cheers

SB

Sponsored Links
Hi, We have two wall spots either side of bed adjusted to illuminate each person. They use 1.0W white and are great for reading. We made them from wood and GU10 downlighters. Essential to get the aim in the right place for reading. HTH

Anybody got an idea of where I can buy these wall mounted lamps?

Keep searching the net but I have had no luck finding them.

Regards

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back