LED strip lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I am planning on installing strip led lights under each of these shelves. I am purchasing this:

https://tinyurl.com/3nw5f4z9

Problem is I have no idea how to connect the end bits of the strip in order to run it down the wall and connect it to a driver (I think it’s called a driver). I have attached 2 photos. One of the actual shelves and a bad drawing I did with arrows pointing to what I mean. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 5DEB6095-0B01-49F9-9073-F2C0342F8150.jpeg
    5DEB6095-0B01-49F9-9073-F2C0342F8150.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 99003BEB-13FE-4B8D-8F15-DA3C07D42C45.jpeg
    99003BEB-13FE-4B8D-8F15-DA3C07D42C45.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 93
Sponsored Links
The usual method is to cut the led strip to length (can be cut every 3 LED's), and then solder on wires to the end.
However, if you haven't got the tools to solder, there are connection kits available:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/3528-Pin-LED-Strip-Connector/dp/B07TB6G816
Or look up led strip connectors (2 pins for same colour LEDs and 4 pins for multicolours)
Normal caveats, check size and type before buying!
Hope that helps!

Thanks and will that kit have the connection to connect to a driver?

It really depends on the driver!
Many have screw terminals and you just strip the wire and screw them in (minding polarity of course!)

Sponsored Links
I might just get a spark to do it i don’t even know what driver i need etc thanks

Personally I would use the connectors as mentioned above.

Regards the transformer the wires usually screw in.

I wouldn't bother trying to solder the strip lights, most are of poor quality and the solder either doesn't stick very well or the strip melts etc etc.

Use 0.5mm twin core flex and use the colour system brown for live and blue for neutral/negative

For the transformer use the same colours and get a 3 pin plug to connect the 230v side of the transformer.

No need to worry about an earth in this application in the 3 pin plug

Last edited:
The first LED strip data sheet says 3.6 watt per foot, the screwfix transformer @RandomGrinch has linked to is high frequency AC and you want DC plus needs a load of 35 watt minimum so you would need to use at least 10 foot plus use a rectifier.

Buying as a package is far better with all included. Personally I got Lidi Smart LED Light Strip which has warm and cool plus 16 million colours, it can be set between 3 and 22 watt output and I use in display cabinet at lowest setting, it is flexible 2 meters long can be cut an joined but the joiner provided is very short. It also needs a zigbee controller.

I also tried Ikea and they are rigid, no where near as bright, and expensive for what they are. The manual control means to change from one display to another I have to stand on a chair and press a button, on the colour changing one, and no real option for white.

The warm and cool white settings on the Lidi unit are two independent LED's, and the control allows you to vary the output of the LED's but in a way that the total power does not exceed 2 amp, (22 watt) there are 6 connections I would assume return, cool, warm, red, green, blue but I simply plugged it in and used it, in the kitchen it goes around in a circle under the cupboards to light the counter top, DSC_5238.jpg there was enough space to hide the power supply and controller.

I wish now both sides of cooker were the same, but need to wait for Lidi to do them again.

Over the years I have used many methods to light items on display, from a bulb to fluorescent strip light to LED, all different, and the way the LED lights reflect in glass and beaten metal is rather unpredictable, I have some glass shelves but most are wood, Ikea display cabinets, and so 17 shelves to light, this works out rather expensive with a light per shelf, so I have run the LED strip down the centre so the Lidi one lights 6 shelves and two ikea 3 shelves each, still work in progress, the problem is each shelve is different and I would have preferred to have same lighting on each.

The kitchen strip is held with large cable clips which were pushed in rather than hammered using a pair of water pump pliers. Sticky back does not last I have found.

Each home is different, my living room has one central light, which even with an 8 bulb chandelier is not bright enough for such a big room, so we use the display lights to supplement the rooms lighting. Together with up-lighters etc. So really you have to select and decide what you want. Upstairs I have colour changing GU10 spot lights, as have access to ceiling through the loft, every room and every house is different.

I apologise, good spot ericmark, I'm afraid I mixed up my Screwfix orders and should have checked.
The one I ordered was:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/aurora-12-240v-constant-voltage-led-driver-16w/2107t
Buying a complete set from a high street source would be preferable, however the reason I needed to buy a separate driver in The first place was the appalling cheapness/lack of quality of the power supply that came with my Amazon order!

(spammer removed)

Cheers. I got some new bits of MDF cut for the front so there is a slight overhang and used This stuff to fix the light strips behind. The strips I got are backed with plastic and they are bonded extremely well with the adhesive. Room is still a work in progress but happy with it.

Attachments

• 5DFFB7BE-604D-4C8A-95DE-3D72B085BE3B.jpeg
    5DFFB7BE-604D-4C8A-95DE-3D72B085BE3B.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back