Led strips on shelves

Sponsored Links
Switch mode supplies often change their output frequency with load as well so if it complies with the definition of a transformer at one load it wouldn't at another.

I think we can safely say that transformers are still wound devices on a core. (Not necessarily ferrous, HF transformers can use air cores).

Sponsored Links
Removing the big heavy iron-cored transformer?
Removing it? As I thought I said, my point was that if "everything were done at 50Hz", in most cases one would have to have just as big a transformer as would be needed if you didn't bother about the PWM bits, wouldn't one.

Kind Regards, John

If the input varies and the output is constant, isn't it being transformed and does it have electronics?

If the input varies and the output is constant, isn't it being transformed and does it have electronics?
Quite so, but you'd never find me (or many other people with technical knowledge) calling it "a transformer" (even an 'electronically controlled' one) just because one can find a way of justifying that in terms of dictionary (or other) definitions. As far as I (and, I suspect, many others) am concerned, a PSU is a PSU.

As I think many/most of us actually believe (but few seem prepared to admit), IMO winston is right - but I just wish he would stop going on about it (and the other bees in his bonnet), since it's very tedious/annoying, confuses many of the forum members and is never going to achieve anything. However, given the very-long-established meaning of "transformer" in the fields of engineering and electronics, it really made no sense for some parts of industry to start using the word (concurrently) to refer to something else in those same fields, particularly since perfectly reasonable well-established terminology (PSU) was available. I've been doing things with PSUs, some of them 'switch-mode', for decades, but (no matter what dictionaries may say) I'd never come across anyone even dreaming of calling them "transformers" before the lighting industry started doing that (and it has 'spread' a bit since).

However, as I said, absolutely nothing is gained by winston re-starting this discussion at every possible opportunity. No-one is going to reverse these (IMO regrettable) changes in language which have arisen.

KInd Regards, John

But don't you agree that not correcting someone when they use the wrong word is going to make it spread even more?
If we all make the effort to only use the right term perhaps it will eventually get back to the manufacturers marketing people who (may) learn.

I'm surprised at you, John, saying that when you have frequently defended the actual misuse of ordinary words on the grounds that the language 'evolves' and, in any case, we know what they mean.

Yet in terms of manufacturing and technology progression, a name should only apply to the design and method in use when it was invented.

So, it may literally be a transformer but due to evolution of the language but not engineering, we shall never know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back