Recessed LED strip-light on top side of floating shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I built floating shelves 44mm deep, and I have 220v supply adjacent to shelves. I'd like to install an LED strip in the top side of the shelf so I'd like the profile channel and diffuser to be completely flush with the surface of the shelf. I'd like the light to be uniform, namely that I don't see dots of light as its often the case with LED installation I've seen. Is there a channel/diffuser/LED strip combination that I can get that will achieve what I want?

To make the light more uniform, I could route an upside-down T shape channel and stick the LED strip in the conclleaed part of the channel. The diffuser would still need to be flush though. Would that work?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Lots of led mounting profiles available to house led strip. Google is your friend.

Just one example

even toolstation sell some, so you could just route out a channel and fit the profile in it

where will you hide the driver though is the harder part..

Last edited:
Is there a channel/diffuser/LED strip combination that I can get that will achieve what I want?
Look for COB LED strips - they are virtually spotless, even without a diffuser.
(Edit, that's what he uses in the video above)

Sponsored Links
Lots of led mounting profiles available to house led strip. Google is your friend.

Just one example

even toolstation sell some, so you could just route out a channel and fit the profile in it

Thanks. I looked it up extensively and like the example you posted the diffusers that I found are curved so slightly proud of the self surface. I'm looking for a flat diffuser and a chanel that is flush with the shelf.

Just one example

The Sensio Aluminium Profile looks the part. Thanks

Just one example

About the drivers, do I choose 12V or 24V ones? What make and model are recommended? I can burry it in the shelf (that is going to be tight) or in the wall, what is best practice?

Last edited:
where ever you hide the driver make sure you can access it easily in case it needs replaced.
you dont say how long the shelves are, are you going to have one supply for all three shelves ore a seperate driver for each shelf?

where ever you hide the driver make sure you can access it easily in case it needs replaced.
you don't say how long the shelves are, are you going to have one supply for all three shelves ore a separate driver for each shelf?
Shelves are 2400mm long. The electrician lay 220v supply for each shelf, all controlled by one wall on/off light switch.

About the COB LED strip, I don't really need a dimmer or a remote. Can I connect a dimmable LED strip without a dimmer switch or is it preferable to have a controller with a dimmer installed

Am I right in thinking that I need 3 x12v drivers due to the length of my shelves 3 x 2400mm?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back