Leds & loft query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am changing a centre light with 3 halogen bulbs for 6 down lighters using leds.
It's in the bathroom so am going for ip rated.
In the loft am I able to use large terracotta flower pots and cut the insulation round them? The pots have a hole at the top when over the leds and want to know if the insulation is higher than the pots should I cut round or can it just go over the pot as the leds don't get hot?
They're 240v so no transformer to worry about.
Thankyou in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Before you start the work, does this circuit have RCD protection? And why are you bodging the job, instead of using materials designed to deal with dissipating heat and ventilation?
With regards IP rating, you would expect all electrical equipment to be IP rated, the consideration is to what degree.

Yes has rcd, to save money and I see plenty of leds that are not ip rated at all.

Trying to save money by bodging electrical work, not using the right products etc, can lead to other people having to pick up large bills.

For funerals.

Or for themselves, further down the line, when the bodged job results in condensation rotting their roof timbers.

Sponsored Links
I am changing a centre light with 3 halogen bulbs for 6 down lighters using leds.
So you're replacing 1 light with 6.

Does that say anything to you about how good the new lights are at doing the job of illuminating a room? If they were good for that, you wouldn't need 6 of them, would you.

The pots have a hole at the top
Unacceptable - the enclosure must be airtight.

when over the leds and want to know if the insulation is higher than the pots should I cut round or can it just go over the pot as the leds don't get hot?
It must go over the top.

I see plenty of leds that are not ip rated at all.

We are talking about the light fitting and not the LED lamps, so link me a product that states it has no IP rating?
I fear you should not be allowed to perform any electrical work that requires a logical and safe process of installation and a satisfactory safe end result.

You have a responsibility, not only to yourself, family pets and property, but also to those that could be affected be your antics, such as guests/visitors and neighbours and emergency services.

Last edited:
If I buy fire rated led down lighters do I still need to use hoods?
Have been advised that I don't but need to confirm

You don't need firehoods.

You do still need a sealed enclosure over the lights to comply with Part C, and to support the thermal insulation which you must reinstate to comply with part L.

If I buy fire rated led down lighters do I still need to use hoods?
Have been advised that I don't but need to confirm
Fire rating only stops the spread of fire/smoke from the room to the space above. It does not protect or ventilate the unit within the loft space from the environment they are contained.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back