Replacing Halogen with LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's a lot on this topic but it seems to quite old, so apologies for asking the question again....

I have around 30 halogen twin pin (MR16?) "50w" bulbs around the house, and I am thinking of replacing them, mainly because there are huge gaps in the (rock-wool) insulation to let the heat out, and it's going to get cold shortly.

They are attached to Dimmable Electric Transformers (Lytlec LDT65) although there are no dimmer switches in the house (not likely to be either).

Are twin pin LEDs a one-for-one replacement, or do I have to swap out the transformers?
Are there 'special' LED bulbs for bathrooms?
Is it correct that the LEDs don't need ventilation, so I can insulate the loft properly?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It's not a good idea to have LED lamps on standard 12V transformers, really you will require LED drivers, the drivers will be apply to support multiple number of lamps, dependent on rating.
I don't know how this will change your insulation problems as the lamps and drivers will still require ventilation.

Thanks PBod - I understood that because the lamps ran colder, they could be insulated over, but from what you are say, that isn't so.

Is there a cheaper or smarter alternative to collars ("witches hats"?)?

Are drivers the same as transformers in that they can be attached to joists above the insulation?

Appreciated

Drivers are, to all intents and purposes, transformers, but you need them specifically for LEDs. Most transformers don't work with a load less than 20W, and even if you attached half a dozen LEDs to one it would be unlikely to work as LEDs usually have different electronic requirements. And trying to dim LEDs can be a minefield!!

It's not a good idea to cover LEDs with insulation, but one way to give them breathing space is to upturn a flower pot over the top (take the flowers out first ...)

There aren't special LEDs for bathrooms (nor are there special halogens) but there are "special" light fittings which seal tightly to the ceiling to stop water vapour leaking into the void above and causing damp and mould.

PJ

Sponsored Links
I followed the advice from a post in the dim and distant past which stated that Philips Master Led's are compatible with a wide range of transformers ... I successfully trialled one and it saved me the trouble of excavating a number of transformers from small recesses and replacing them ...... just a thought

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back