lengthening freezer cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will have to move my freezer to accommodate a new boiler. The freezer cable in the new position will not reach the socket. What are the options, an extension lead ( I don't think so), connectors or should I replace the whole cable by calling in an electrician?

Sponsored Links
I thought an extension lead was OK for a temporary connection e.g. cutting the grass but was frowned upon for permanent appliances such as fridges and freezers.

Sponsored Links
Yeah a short extension lead will do the job for a low power application like this. I bet you have an extension lead for your TV or computer. These use more energy than a freezer.

Its more frowned upon for washing machines, tumble dryers, etc as these are much higher powered. But as long as the extn is adequately rated and the appliance is the only thing on it, its ok.

Just make sure that the extension lead is sensibly routed and protected from possible knocks or damage. Can it be clipped on the top of the skirting and the extension socket placed behind the freezer? That ought to make it reasonably safe.

Best thing would be to replace the flex. Are the connections not accessible?

If you really can't, then what's wrong with one of these:

BG458.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back