Lets weaken the Elections Watchdog - what could possibly go wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ory-move-to-weaken-power-of-election-watchdog

Boris Johnson is facing growing controversy over a proposed new law that will hand Michael Gove the power to set the remit of the hitherto independent watchdog that oversees elections and party finances, including donations.

Instead of strengthening the watchdogs the Tories are going after them - first it was MP Standards Watchdog, now its the turn of the elections Watchdog.

Can any Tory on here please explain why these are seen as pro democratic moves? How can you still support such a group of self serving individuals?

Sponsored Links
Soon Russia will be imposing sanctions against us for being so corrupt.

Many years ago the Labour Party proposed a written constitution and a "Bill of Rights" when they came to power. In 1997, when they did (come to power) the matter was shelved, presumably because the EU was already working on quite a bit of the same thing at that time. It seems to me that now we have left the EU our personal freedoms and the protections our institutions once enjoyed are under attack from the sleaziest government this country has known since WWII. I now think it's high time this was back on the political agenda

Lol is this match fixing? All the corruption and now this? Makes me think of this David Mitchell Rant:

Sponsored Links
It could have been worse...

Lets Bomb Russia.jpg

Remember that?

Can any Tory on here please explain why these are seen as pro democratic moves? How can you still support such a group of self serving individuals?
C'mon, don't be so negative.
Boris and his government have worked wonders considering what a crap hand they were dealt. In any case the so-called independent election watchdog was anything but. At least now the Tories are taking over, things will be in the safest of hands.

So what we crude, backwards northerners call a **** (look it up, it's in common use around in Manchester as a greeting!)

Many years ago the Labour Party proposed a written constitution and a "Bill of Rights" when they came to power. In 1997, when they did (come to power) the matter was shelved, presumably because the EU was already working on quite a bit of the same thing at that time. It seems to me that now we have left the EU our personal freedoms and the protections our institutions once enjoyed are under attack from the sleaziest government this country has known since WWII. I now think it's high time this was back on the political agenda

The EU actually restricts governments from ripping up democracy.

Brexit was always a vehicle for the wealthy to turn the UK into a Singapore on Thames.

Last edited:
The only other thing wrong with Singapore is that it is a very controlling government - they even check luggage to see if you are carrying seditious literature

The only other thing wrong with Singapore is that it is a very controlling government - they even check luggage to see if you are carrying seditious literature

Is that since the Chinese took over though?

Not a totally terrible idea.

Problem is it's being attempted by dingbats, so it'll be a right hash job. It'll all go wrong..

It is a terrible idea - Singapore is a one party state and 30% of their workforce is immigrant labour, so unless you want Victorian work houses - it can't work in the UK. On top they have a highly educated workforce - and you know what the regulars on here think about education. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Back