Letter Cage on UPVC Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Looking to mount a letter cage onto the back of our upvc door to stop the dog chewing the post.
(something like... Letter Cage on Amazon )

However all letter cages seem to be mounted to doors by screwing them to the surface.

My question - can you fix/screw things onto/into a upvc door? It's only for mail so i doubt anything heavy will ever be in the cage, but at the same time i don't want to ruin the door by attempting it and finding out the hard way!

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Sponsored Links
Yes you can screw into it its only plastic.
Get the proper screws, drill small hole, if you can I would try & stick it as well, use silcone (use colour to suit), this will then give a firm fix & stop it being pushed off & spoiling the door.

thanks chief! - it wasn't so much that i was worried that it was plastic, just that there could be a cavity behind the first sheet of plastic and there wouldnt be anything securing the cage except for the screws through the 1mm or so of plastic!

Sponsored Links
I'm looking into that option as well - its just the security issue of people knowing your post is stored in it (i havent seen one that doesn't look like it couldn't be forced open rather quickly) that bothers me!

An even better idea would be to get a Snail Sakk mail pouch. It attaches with adhesive velcro rather than screws; So, there's no damage to your door. It's very sturdy and holds a lot of mail and heavy catalogues. And also looks a lot nicer than letter cages. You'll pay a little more for international shipping, but the price of the product is less seeing as it's in dollars - $24.5 +S&H. www.SnailSakk.com

Panels are generally reinforced nowadays with 6mm mdf in the core so it'll get more purchase than just on the pvc. Depending on how old the door is the panel should be no less than 24mm thick maybe 28mm so when shopping for screws get no longer than 25mm.

These should do......

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A331408/Screws/Self-Tapping-Screws/Flange-Head

If you use the 3/4 ones they'll still reach the reinforcing and just in case you have a 20mm thick panel they wont go right through to the outside

Good luck :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back