UPVC door-cutting slot for letter plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Our UPVC door has no mail slot, we currently have a post box mounted on the gate, however we would like letters to be posted through the door. I've got a letter plate, can a UPVC be jigsawed without damaging the door. I'm not sure of the construction of the door but even if there is a steel plate in there it should be ok? I was going to mark out the slot, drill a hole in each corner for the jigsaw blade and then jigsaw. Has anyone got experience of drilling/sawing UPVC doors.

Sponsored Links
jigsaw is fine, if its a upvc door it will probably be a plastic skin panel with polystyrene inbetween and maybe a sheet of plywood or mdf to strengthen. It is easier if you can take the panel out and lie it flat on trestles, drill 4 holes like you said. measure twice cut once!

thanks dude, I was originally going to remove the door and do it whilst it was flat but looking at the hinges I thought it would be easier to drill and cut without removing it. The hinges have like an allen screw in the top and bottom and then grub screws on the side. I know some of these screws are for adjustment. I tried lifting the door of the hinges when the door was at 90 degrees but it didn't budge

you can take the panel out of the door frame but if youre not confident it may be worth struggling with it in place

Sponsored Links
I recently did a catflap in a UPVC door. I was quite concerned I’d destroy the door, but in the end it was simple. Leave the door in situ, it’s really a lot easier than you might currently be thinking!

As s60tsy says, measure well. If it’s not in the middle, it’ll be very noticable.

I would use a reciprocating saw for this job if there is anything solid where you fit it. A jigsaw baseplate may leave a mark on the door.

If the area is just foam with plastic either side, drill the 4 holes and use a keyhole saw / pad saw. And have a rasp available to make any modifications afterwards

And use plenty of masking tape either side to prevent scratches to what's left.

The further you spread it the better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back