Letterbox draught - lost for ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Following on from my previous post, I increased the size of the letterbox aperture using a jigsaw and installed one of these: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ironmongery/d170/Letter+Plates/sd3275/Sleeved+Letter+Plate/p56975

My old letter face plate and brush plate were letting in extreme amounts of cold air and my aim was to fix that with a new sleeved letterbox. Unfortunately I'm still getting quite a bit of air coming into the hallway which is affecting the temp in the rest of the house.

Sadly, the exterior of my flat is in a very windy communal area, and it seems any small gap lets loads of a cold air in.

Anyone have any ideas about how to go about fixing this?

Sponsored Links
There are no gaps around the letterbox itself, the cold air is actually coming in from the edges of the letterbox interior, at the point where the bristles end and the plastic casing of the letterbox starts.

I thought the letterbox was faulty so tried a replacement, but no cigar!

if you fully tape over the whole back off the letter box to seal it up does that help ??

my thoughts are loads off small draughts around the door from several areas

Sponsored Links
if you fully tape over the whole back off the letter box to seal it up does that help ??

my thoughts are loads off small draughts around the door from several areas

I'd agree, eliminate the letterbox , temporarily , by taping it up . May not be the letterbox at fault.......

It's definitely the letterbox - stuffed some carrier bags in there and voila, no more draught. I've narrowed the problem down to the top edges of the flap, will have to see what can be done to block it. Ideas welcome

i'm assuming the internal section has a rubber seal around the edge that the opening flap rests against? bear in mind that section of metal (the opener) is very light and if the drafts in the communal area are strong enough they might be getting in by (ever so slightly) lifting the opener away from the seal, this is a more common problem than you think.

looking at the model you bought, i can see it has the brush seal, is this more on the outside or inside? maybe you could try a different internal plate that also has the brush seal, so you'd in effect have two. not sure if this would make it too difficult to get letters in though?

https://www.gjohns.co.uk/front-door...sprung-flap-292mm-x-75mm-polished-chrome.html

the only other thing i can think of is something like this but maybe not very pretty!

http://www.mygreenerhome.co.uk/inde...=export_feed&gclid=COKWka6T38QCFeiE2wodBr4AjA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back