Level floor after removing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just removed an internal block wall between two rooms and I'm now wondering the best way to level the floor so I can carpet the new larger room.

The floors either side of the wall are normal wooden floorboards.

The wall was about 14 foot long and I've currently left a few inches of it sticking up between the floorboards. Is it advisable to basically try and chisel it so it's flat and level with the floorboards, and then just carpet directly over it? Or do I need to chisel it below the height of the floorboards and then re-board the whole room? Or is there a different method which would be better?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can remove the next course of bricks, see what the wall was sitting on, chances are the floor joist run level, that rest on the wall below floor level, then just a case of infilling the gap with timber(floorboarding/plywood).

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a look and see what I can do.

Sponsored Links
You would always remove the masonry to well below the ffl, and never leave bits of wall showing as finished floor.

As PBD has said, you may need to trim back some of the existing floorboards as to allow you to fix a new section of floor boarding material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back