Level floor but toilet pan not sitting level..sold a dud ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i've just fitted a new toilet, no leaks and it's working great, only problem is that the actual pan is not sitting level.

My floor tiles are dead level,bubble is in middle of spirit level both ways,ie from cistern/wall to front of pan,and also pan side to pan side when level is sitting on the tiles..

It's when i move the spirit level up on top of the pan it's miles out.

With the spirit level sitting across the top of the pan,when facing the cistern i'm getting 40 cm from bottom of spiritlevel to the floor at the left-handside and 40.5cm at the right-handside of the pan to the floor,only 5 mm of a difference, but it is noticable when looking along the cistern top in relation to the tile grout lines.

It gets worse :(

When sitting on the pan it feels like you are getting thrown off the front of it !!
With spirit-level sittin across the back of the pan,where the seat hinges are,im getting 40.5 cm to the floor tiles, and when spirit-level is across the front of the pan im getting 39cm to the floor, so that's 1.5cm lower at the front,......in 'old money' that's more than half an inch :cry:

Can this be normal? OR have i been sold a reject pan ,...the complete bathroom package was bought online from a major plumbing retailer?

Cheers :unsure:

Sponsored Links
Welcome to plumbing stuff.
It's mostly pretty awful.
Yours is worth chucking back at the supplier, but the suppliers are pretty awful too. "You went and took it out of the packing and looked at it, now didn't you", is the sort of cr*p you get.
It's not fit for purpose, don't be fobbed off with warranty claims.

Now they'll expect you to take it out and send it back while they hang on a couple of weeks and have a look, leaving you with no loo.

Unfortunately you can spend a fortune of china ( eg Villeroy and Boch) and find it's not much better. Luck of the draw - or the hole in the ground they make the stuff in.

Best you can do is slag 'em off and hope they help. NAme the make and supplier here, and let's all know how you get on.

I wonder if they'll say it's your fault :rolleyes:

Friend bought a 'bog in a box' from one of the sheds, it was way out! Credit where credit due, they did swap it without question, just took us to open a dozen boxes before we found a decent pan and cistern....

May help to check thoroughly any replacement pan they offer before taking it out the shop, take level along to assist! However you've bought online so you're at the mercy of whatever they send you..... :cry:

Unfortunately we only have one bathroom, so it looks like i'll have to keep the pan, must say,we are gittin used to it now , just need to dig our heels in when using it :LOL:

Might try to pack it up a bit between the pan base and the floor,and hide the packers with silicone, not ideal, but....... :(

It was bought from Plumbworld,and heres the pan......
http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/impressa-close-coupled-1630-25699

Sponsored Links
Am I out of date?

I always thought that a WC pan should be set into mortar which is about 1/2" thick and well able to ensure the pan can correctly levelled.

Tony

Agile";p="2394257 said:
Am I out of date?

I always thought that a WC pan should be set into mortar which is about 1/2" thick and well able to ensure the pan can correctly levelled.

sadly yes,, old hat these days that was from the times we northerners had out side toilets,,, complete with sloping floors,,, for mopping and cleaning out,,, you have a Lott to learn if you wish to progress in the plumbing industry,,, regards tc

Old pans came in 2 parts the bowl and the trap - stoneware ones needed a gurt lump of concrete to hold them - then an oak panel @ the front and a boarded top with a seat - like what I`m doing as a project in my house :p I`ll post some pics when it`s done - but don`t hold your breath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back