Unstable Rak toilet pan fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a Rak toilet pan but am having problems securing it.

I've tightened the two nylon brackets to the floor and fitted the pan on top, tightening up the pan's two side-mounted screws. The side-mounted screws are tight, but I'm reluctant to tighten them further incase they cause damage to the pan.

The pan rocks slightly in all directions, but the real problem is that it's possible to lift the front of the pan about 3/8 of an inch off the floor. I've tried using packing, but I'm reluctant to pack so big a gap and feel that there must be something else wrong. The floor is reasonably level.

Do I need to tighten those side-mounting screws further? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Make sure the nylon floor brackets are secure, then get someone to sit on the pan while you tighten the side screws, any gaps can be filled with silicone and tidied up. What sort of floor is the pan sitting on ?

Thanks for your reply. I'm confident that the brackets to the floor are tight, but how tight to do the side screws need to be? They're just nipped up at the moment so I could make them tighter if someone sits on it, but would this damage the ceramic?

It's a concrete floor underneath.

Take the screws out and use chrome/white plastic snap on caps with them, that way they will have plastic washers against the ceramic and you can nip them up a little more if you have a fear of scratching the ceramic.
Unless you think it may crack?

Sponsored Links
Hi Madrab,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it's the cracking that I'm worried about. When I took out the old toilet, I found that the installer had cracked the ceramic when tightening the floor bolts. I don't want that to happen again, so any idea how firmly I can get away with? I'm not sure I can go so much further anyway, as they seem to be starting to spin when I tighten more.

Thanks.

Afraid not, it's just one of those things you get a feel for I'm afraid. Your issue is getting it tight to the floor, once it's tight then the screws are tight enough, if that makes sense.

Sometimes pan bases aren't totally level or the obvious, the floor isn't level. Usually the latter and all you can do is fill the gaps, as gigz says, with sealer. Once that goes off it should firm it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back