Level profile bifolding doors and wood floor expansion gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing an engineered wood floor into a new room approx 5m x 5m. It's going to be installed floating style so skirting boards fixed on top of the floor to hide the expansion gap. I think this will look really smart and avoid the need for beading which I'm not a massive fan of (there's a die hard minimalist trying to get out here I know).

What I hadn't thought about is how to hide the gap where the floor joins the bifold doors. These have a level profile to the decking outside so it would be a shame to use beading there and ruin this. Has anybody solved this problem before? Maybe used any other solution that looks smart and doesn't involve altering floor levels?

Sponsored Links
Hi Georgio,

We faced the same problem a couple of years ago with a wood floor coming up against a set of bifolds (Origin) where the floor is flush with the door cill. The gap round the rest of the room is under the skirting!

In discussion with our builder and carpenter on what to do we got a strip of ally angle powder coated to the same anthracite grey as the doors and then routed it into the floor flush to the surface to hide the expansion gap. With the doos open or closed it just looks like part of the frame and your eye isn't drawn to it. It looks very neat.

I guess the ally angle does technically bridge the expansion gap and if the floor expanded that much it would pop out - but the floor's been in 3 years through one of the hottest summers and no issues! Our boards run at 90 degrees to the door.

If I get a moment and can figure out how to do it I'll post a pic or 2

Cheers
Mark

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back