Levelling a new toilet bowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a new close-coupled toilet on a newly tiled floor. The floor is level but the bowl does not sit level. Do I just use shims or should I use a bed of 'Plumber's mate' or some such putty?
Also, much more worrying, the top of the cistern is about 15mm away from the wall when coupled up....what do I do about this?
Any suggestions appreciated

Sponsored Links
You are pretty much in the sh*t with this installation aren`t you...Doesn`t sit right on floor...Doesn`t sit flush on wall...who is fitting it...Sorry you are responsible..This is gonna take a while because I`m crap at typing..in the meantime someone else will have jumped in & solved the problem for you...hopefully...First of all ..Why doesn`t it sit flush against the wall.. answer that & then we will proceed...

I would set the pan down on a bed of sand and cement. You can buy a bag of ready mix rapid set that will do the job fine. Most plumbers merchants keep it handy - about a tenner. It goes off quick though so make sure you have as done as much prep as possible.

Pack off the cistern with some slices of 15mm copper pipe. Cut it down to the size of the gap and screw straight back to the wall.

Sponsored Links
Bit of a false alarm here...when I coupled up the cistern in a dry run, I didn't fully tighten the screws. When I tried it again...properly...the screws pulled the cistern square so hardly any gap.
The bowl still rocks slightly so I think I'll just put in a 1 or 2mm packer at the back and let the holding down screws do the rest.
Thanks for your suggestions anyhow - it's good to know there's always someone 'out there' who will help ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back