Levelling a sloping garden.... ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we moved house a year ago and have managed to get the inside sorted, but the gardens are doing our heads in - very depressing because I'm currently not in a position to throw wads of cash at landscaping, so have to try to do most of it myself.

So I have some questions that I'd be hugely grateful if anyone could answer....

Firstly, does anyone have any idea of what it might cost me to hire a mini digger with a driver to level out my sloping garden? This is a part that I will spend some money on if it make life easier - size to level is about 45 feet wide by 30 ft deep, plus some trenches for retaining wall footings. Any advice appreciated on this...

The garden slopes down towards the house and rises slightly across its width on one side. I want to level it out by removing excess from the back and scraping it all forward to raise the front slightly. I would like to build a front retaining wall probably 3 blocks high - I'm told that this needs to be built double skinned with concrete blocks. I also want a low flight of wide steps from the patio up to the lawn - what is the best or easiest way to make these?

What level should I start out at, bearing in mind I have to do the patio as well? I've hammered in a post that is where I think the lower wall should start and the patio runs down to, and I'm told that a series of posts dotted around will give me my levels...

The existing wonky 'patio' is the original from 1964 it seems, and is laid on ash and clinker with about 30mm of sand that the slabs are set on. It's completely knackered and dangerous so needs redoing. How deep do I need the type 1 and sand to make a reasonable base?

We have soak-aways that remove rainfall water, but I don't know where these go and how deep they are - I really want to install one of those long grill drains at the foot of the new wall where the new patio will slope down to so there's no standing water - how do I hook this up to the existing soakaways?

The biggest question of all is: where the hell do I start with all this??? On paper it's not a huge job, but I'm not a landscaper, so it causes me a headache trying to figure it all out - any advice on all or any the above would be massively appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you need to keep in mind many things
you must not stop the natural water drainage flow off you neibours land over your land
you will need planning to raise the ground abouve 300mm
you need to support fences on the now higher ground etc from where you have removed the earth

you also need to think off other things like buildings footpaths or roadways if they are within 1m off you shallow excavations or around 2m off deeper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back