Levelling a suspended wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am renovating my bathroom. So far I have pretty much gutted it, having stripped the crumbly walls back to the brickwork and lifted the floor to re-arrange the plumbing and electrics.

Before I replace the floor with ply I want to level it (it currently dips by about 7cm diagonally, presumably as a result of past subsidence). I was thinking of attaching maybe 2"x4" lengths along the sides of the existing joints (which are in reasonable condition) aligning their tops so they are all nice and even and level, and adding it plenty of noggins to brace the whole thing. On top will then go 18 WBP ply, followed by 60x60cm porcelain tiles.

My question is, will 2"x4" be big enough and what should I use to attach
it to the joists? Should I bolt it, or will screws do? What size, and what spacing?

Many thanks. I have not done this sort of thing before.

I know you will say I should use 25mm ply, but Im afraid I've already bought the 18mm. The bathroom is really pretty small - about 2mx2m.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's 7cm and not 7mm? If it's 7cm then 4"x2" won't be deep enough to play with, you might have to use 5" or 6"x2" then I would nuts/bolts/square washers together

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back