Levelling crumbling concrete to wood.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, I apologise for posting a question that I imagine someone has answered before. I read Mattysupras sticky on leveling and searched, but this is entirely new to me so I felt I needed specific advise.

I am decorating a first floor bedroom. We are having new carpets fitted and there has always been an odd step under the carpet. I figured I should repair it before laying new carpet over an old problem.

Is this a job in which I should pour levelling compound over the bricks and then skim to be level with the floor boards? Does it being on the first floor make any difference to this? If I end up with wet ceilings in the living room then my heads on the chopping block.

Any response is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks very much. With this response, mattysupras sticky and some YouTube research I have a much clearer idea as to how to approach this. Appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advise. It's definitely the old fireplace, which I guess was removed when the room size
was reduced to incorporate a staircase to the loft conversion.
Replacing with floorboards was suggested to me by a mate, but with the way he described it it sounds like a job I wouldn't be able to do myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back