levelling garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm converting my small garage into a music studio. My first job is to install some floor insulation, so my intention was to build a timber frame lay down some dpf and 50 mm insulation followed by 22mm t&g. Problem is that the otherwise sound concrete slab is very uneven, dropping about 50mm over 3 mtrs or so. What would be the best DIY method for levelling? Can I do it with the timber as I go, or am I looking at laying a new concrete slab over the existing one do you think.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I am doing something similar but have a drop of 160mm to play with.

I am fixing timber to the walls using 130mm thunderbolts every 2 bricks and then joist hangers off the timber to support the joists, using 45x95mm timber for both. These will be at 400mm gaps with 100mm celotex boards fixed inbetween. (this was the required thickness for building control)

Then i'm laying 18mm ply, heat matt, 5mm insulation and a laminate floor.

This will leave 30mm air gap underneath which the council have said they're happy with.

I'm also spraying a layer of bitumen paint on the floor before I do anything.

I looked into doing a screed layer but for the amount I would need it would be expensive and I couldn't find anyone who would do a concrete pour of 12.5sqm at 30mm deep.

Hope this helps.

Rory

Thanks for the reply Rory. Your solution sounds like a good plan. The problem I have is that the drop I have is so uneven and runs from top right to bottom left, and to suspend the floor enough would mean I run out of height. All I can think of is to use assorted timber and packing as I go! Very time consuming, but all I can think of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back