Levelling my window sill for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed the tiles on my window and some of the plaster has come away in places while over the majority of the surface the tile adhesive has remained in place.
Attempts to remove the tile adhesive have further damaged the surface so i've bought some plaster and i'm considering sealing the existing surface with PVA and then applying Easi-Fill or Finishing plaster to provide a level surface and fill in the deep holes. This will make tiling easier for me.

Is this advisable? I've posted pictures.

Sponsored Links
Forget Easyfill it’s not really suited for what your doing & too soft. You could do it with Multi but you will have to fill in those deeper holes in a couple of stages, if you apply it too thickly (more than say 6mm) it’ll crack.

I don’t often recommend the stuff but, in this case, your easiest option is probably to buy a small bag of one coat plaster, fill the holes first & skim across the adhesive ridges. It doesn’t have to be perfect if you’re tiling over but wait until it's dry before tiling. You could also skim it with tile adhesive if your using a cement powdered type adhesive.

Cheers Richard C!

I'll buy a bag of one-coat plaster and return the bag of finishing plaster.

I guess it would be okay to use the easi-fill plaster to repair plasterboard elsewhere in the house where I'm planning to make holes to lay some network cable. You say it's soft which sounds perfect for sanding down :)

Is that okay?

Cheers Richard C!

I'll buy a bag of one-coat plaster and return the bag of finishing plaster.

I guess it would be okay to use the easi-fill plaster to repair plasterboard elsewhere in the house where I'm planning to make holes to lay some network cable. You say it's soft which sounds perfect for sanding down :)

Is that okay?

Network cable, I thought everyone (including me) is using wireless networks these days unless it's high end video your after!

Yes it's easy to sand & will certainly be more practical than using Pollifila

Sponsored Links
If you are going to tile it and need to build it up first, I would lay tile adhesive over the lot fill in the low spots with a few old bits of tile level it up and then let it dry and then put on your tile adhesive and tile it to how you want it finished... Sorry to but in on your answers Rich, but just another way to do it....

its such a small job, i wouldnt even bother with buying a bag of plaster for it.fill the holes in with what ever you have which is suitable.the window dont look compromised with damp etc.a good layer of tile adhesive will bring your height.

dont use a shovel to swat a fly haha

Shovels, flies! :rolleyes: ! I don't disagree with either of you but advised what I though would be more suitable & I did say buy only a small bag of one coat which, generally, I would liken to the Devil’s bile! ;)

Ah! Richard if only you knew the secrets and versatility of good old one coat. (Thats what sponge floats were made for)..... ;)

its such a small job, i wouldnt even bother with buying a bag of plaster for it.fill the holes in with what ever you have which is suitable.the window dont look compromised with damp etc.a good layer of tile adhesive will bring your height.

dont use a shovel to swat a fly haha
I don't disagree with you but the truth is that since i've taken up this DIY i've been eager to try a spot of plastering as I thought it would be a useful skill for filling in some holes I'll need to make around the house from laying network cables in the walls

I bought the bag of 1-coat plaster as Richard C suggested and had a crack at the window and I'm fairly pleased with the result only because i know i'll be tiling over it. The main aim was to produce a level surface and I've done that. Unfortunately there is a bit of an overhang as the batten I used to guide me didn't have a perfectly straight edge and it's not as smooth as some plaster jobs but I figure that'll actually provide a good key for the adhesive.

If anyone wants to give me suggestions on improving I'd welcome them. Before and after photos are included.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back