levelling plasterboard on existing wooden wall studs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have removed rotten ancient plasterboard from stud wall posts/battens that used to surround bath. Have moisture resistant gyproc plasterboard to replace it. All the replaced area will be tiled so want to avoid skimming the board. However need to level the boards slightly so that new bath has more snug fit to the wall.

wondering whats best and least painful and least expensive method

1) can I use drywall adhesive between battens and plasterboard to level then screw in place through to the battens

2) use wood shims (a long process)

3) or does it need to be skimmed over after all??

any other ideas/experience welcome

thanks

Sponsored Links
add or 'sister' the existing crooked studs with some vertical ones and fix to these.

You don't have to skim behind tiles althoug I usually do if it's block work. Using even moisture resistant plastrboard is not a good idea in wet areas, use either a cement based backer board or tank it before you tile.

Many ways of going about it including dot & dab; have a look through the archive posts in here & in the tiling forum to get some background info. I would be wary of using existing studs as they may not be sound.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back