levelling wall surface for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all im new to the site so plz bare with...

im just to about to tile my toilet room id say its bathroom but its a seperate room to where my bath and sink is so not really a wet room, thing is the walls are like a dogs back leg and have layers of paint on them. Also the wall beloose my toilet is really bad with plaster very loose in places I was thinking of dot dabing cement boards on and then tiling over them instead or could I use plasteboard seems its not really a wet room...

Sponsored Links
Do you intend to strip out all fixtures from this room eg the WC? Its always the proper method to have a clean walls and floor to work on.

Usually, the best bet is to knock off the plaster back to brick, and then re-plaster or render (depending if damp is present).

Your proposals wont fly for a DIY'er, you'll only get yourself in difficulties.

There is only a toilet to remove which I have already removed easily to inspect the wall behind it... that is the only wall that concerns me as it has a window above it and is at the end of a narrow room... when I work out how to upload pictures I will show you a picture

P.s im not bad at d.i.y so ill give anything a go and I take my time doing it

OK. The re-plastering option is the one to go for. That way you can control the perfect plumb and ninety degree return inside corners to have a good tiling surface - no running out or leaning tile lines.

Are you stopping below window cill level or going up?

Sponsored Links
I plan to go up and tile the whole wall so I think thats the best option, once plastered can u tile straight onto plaster? Thanks for reply much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back