Leylandii Rust?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I might be alone on this forum, but I love my leylandii trees. The 14ft tall, regularly trimmed trees provide a dense hedge between my suburban garden and the road that runs along side my house. I have 25 trees in the hedge and I've had them about 15 to 18 years.

But - one of the leylandii has started to go brown - near the top. A friendly neighbour said it was 'leylandii rust'.

Whatever it's called, has anyone a solution to this? Or is the tree going to die?

Your thoughts would be appreciated!

//media.diynot.com/126000_125973_47105_70101556_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
that is what happens when they get cut back to far and yes it will die

But I've been hedge trimming them for 15+ years! Why would it start to die now?

once they have been cut back near to the brown bits they have had it they have to get bigger every year, that is why we hate them, its time to cut them down and start again

Sponsored Links
Assuming it has been cut properly it could be a number of things, most likely aphids or spider mite.

Search online as there are little tests to check for each.

Assuming it has been cut properly it could be a number of things, most likely aphids or spider mite.

Search on-line as there are little tests to check for each.

Hi
Thanks for your thoughts.
I can't find the tests you are talking about. (Despite using Google, Bing etc.)
Can you direct me to a site - please?

One more question: You said "Assuming it has been cut properly". What do you mean? It has never occurred to be that there was a wrong way to cut these trees back. I cut them in October, when it will still be frost free for a few weeks at least. I also taper them towards the top, so any snow doesn't sit on the top. Apart from these 'tricks' - what could i be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

as i said if you cut them back to close to the brown they die, they are not a tree that likes to be cut back

If you have clipped the hedge neatly each year (i.e. not "mauled" it back into shape) - which looks to be the case from the pictures - then I think the most likely cause is Cupressus aphid. If that is the case then sadly it is likely to seriously/fatally damage that plant and most probably all the others - over the course of a few years.

I don't know if there is a treatment, but I vaguely remember reading that the particular season that it is trimmed can reduce the risk of attack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back