LG washer/dryer leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a LG washer/dryer model F1403RD . The washer is leaking water inside somewere and the white plastic bottom of the washer fills the eventually overflows and I have to tip the washer up to get it out then mop up.

There is like grey fluff matter in the water which suggest it"s not a small leak. Is it hard to check were ? It just looked hard to get access to all the inner pipeworks without a full tear down.
I originally thought there was a leak on the drain hose but as far as I can see it was muck not a hole.

Sponsored Links
I changed both pumps on the washer and replaced the clip-on hose springs with a sturdier jubilee clips thinking it might be from there but it's still leaking.

Does anyone know were else apart from the pump hosing were it could be leaking from ? it only leaks on spin.

I'm at a loss as to why and were the water is coming from. It flooded the kitchen when on spin. It seems to do it when the washer is say over 1/2 full.
So far I have ;-
Checked all internal hoses & drain hose, dispenser hose (under stray) main bellows drain hose (under tub) and replaced most of the hose standard pull/push clips with jubilee clips for a better fit.

I have checked the door drum seal with a fine tooth comb and no rips or tears and tested the bottom with a cup of water , all fine.
What I have noticed is, the pump on the left hand side ( as you look from the front of the washer) the metal on the pump is rusting up badly . This is how the old pump looked but this is months old.
I've checked the pump and housing for leaks but there all fine.

Anyone help please

Presuming the grey fluff & gunge has been removed each time you have emptied the base of the machine then that would seem to eliminate the water inlet side of things & point to a problem in the areas you have been checking. You really need to observe the machine during a cycle to find out where it is coming from, but that rust you mention seems pretty suspicious & I think I would be looking closely for the pump leaking or something directly above it that drips down on to it.

Sponsored Links
Presuming the grey fluff & gunge has been removed each time you have emptied the base of the machine then that would seem to eliminate the water inlet side of things & point to a problem in the areas you have been checking. You really need to observe the machine during a cycle to find out where it is coming from, but that rust you mention seems pretty suspicious & I think I would be looking closely for the pump leaking or something directly above it that drips down on to it.

Spooky that , because I have just done that. I filmed and took pictures while it was spinning from the back going inside and underneath and it is leaking from the main drum.

Were the 2 halfs of the plastic drum meet there are 2 bolts this is were water starts gushing out. The water then must be travelling to the front part were the pump is with all the vibration.
Now I have a feeling this ain't a small job but it doesn't faze me. Do you have any guides on how to repair or is it a hopeless job ? If it were a cheap washer/dryer I'd give up but it weren't cheap.
below is the drum

The water comes out in and around the 2 bolts then splashes onto the bellow hose so given the impression its the hose but I double checked and it's def the drum seal. I have given them a slight tightening up, I got about
a undrert a 1/4 turn on both. If that stops it then I will get some loctite.

Certainly hard to see exactly where its coming from but easiest thing 1st is to replace the hose clip, clean both spigot and inside of the pipe to be sure of a good clean seal. Being OTT you could use a sealant too!

If this does not work its clearly coming from the drum seal which is a bigger job.

Just curious when the machine is on high speed spin is the drum full of water? Should drain before it spins. Draining to slow???

Certainly hard to see exactly where its coming from but easiest thing 1st is to replace the hose clip, clean both spigot and inside of the pipe to be sure of a good clean seal. Being OTT you could use a sealant too!

If this does not work its clearly coming from the drum seal which is a bigger job.

Just curious when the machine is on high speed spin is the drum full of water? Should drain before it spins. Draining to slow???
Thanks for the reply, I purposely put about 4-5 large towels in for the video as it seemed to be worse when the machine was fullish so it might be the towels that were hanging on to water abit longer.

Both pumps were replaced a few months back and I have lowered the drain hose. Would you recommend a jubilee clip for the bellow hose ? .I'm scared of overtightening the clip that's on now as it's a wire and I'm thinking it would cut through the rubber hose.

Would you happen to know the diameter of the bellow hose were it fits to the machine drain hole ? , I might nip out and get a jubilee clip

Not sure, quickly and roughly measure probably about 4 inches so a clip thats slightly oversized to make it easier to fit on.

problem solved !!

Turned out to be the original screw wire clamp around the top of the hose that just wouldn't seal the hose no matter how tight I screwed it up.

I replaced it with a 70mm-90mm jubilee clip from b&q made sure I got it snug and the rubber hose right up to the top and tightened it up well.
I managed to do this from the back of the washer as well, it was abit tight but it saved stripping the front down again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BF0Q1JPPYQ&feature=youtu.be

Good job!!!
Thanks for the advise, I would have never discovered the leak without watching and filming it while on spin.
The price of the fix ? = £2
I've noticed as well it dries the clothes 10 times better on spin. I think this is because the pump was losing suction/drag due to the leak and air getting into the hose when spinning.

While I was at it I cleaned out the air vent for the dryer and pulled out about a tennis ball of fluff. I suppose the need a bit of maintenance work every now and then just like a car.

Most certainly a vast improvement then and a worthwhile expense and time spent finding the problem and fixing.

Thats a bonus having serviced it at the same time!

After a few weeks I noticed a smell again , so I took the small bottom part front panel off and there's water again in the bottom of the washer.

I decided to monitor on spin but from the front were-as last time I looked from the back. I have now found the cause of the leak, it's the drum seal on the inside next to the small drain hose. It seems the seal is damaged or the clamp isn't doing the trick.
It leaks , runs down the plastic drum and runs around the bellows hose giving the impression ( when looking from the back panel) that this is causing the leak.
Will I need to change the drum seal or something else likely to be causing the seal to fail ? and if I do there are 2 drum clamp springs, one on the outside and one on the inside. Are they both the same size ?. I notices on buyspares there are two , one has a loop in the wire ;-
http://www.buyspares.co.uk/product.pl?pid=712648
this one doesn't ;-
http://www.buyspares.co.uk/product.pl?pid=772423

Lastly , the LG Spring clamp tool ? is there something cheaper that does the job as £63.99 seems to be taking the urine

these are what I was looking at :-

http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es...aO-z9AVSnmWbodkLCkkw93DiitnSU36DLsBoCRxDw_wcB

I found them abit of a mare getting on and I can imagine the inner clamp been worse

Are you referring to the door seal?

Not sure, the tool looks just like circlip pliers but larger.
To choose a suitable alternative you will need to know the max. opening and whether they need to be internally or externally opening.

No idea if these are suitable or not but have a look

Http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181650740215&alt=web

Also need to consider accessibility and size of the pliers.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back