LG bearing replacement, new bearing loose, help & advise badly needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have stripped down my LG washer/dryer F1403RD to replace the bearings and gasket after a leak and I've come across a couple of problems. Firstly , the front outer tub is burned like it's melted at the front top so I'm pretty sure water has been leaking out the top on spin the running down the inside drum door seal onto the motor.
Then there's the 2 sealed bearings the inside one and outside one that go into the rear half of the outer plastic tub. The larger one on the inside is fine and I installed the new bearing fine but the smaller back sealed bearing is loose in the hole of the rear tub. It moves back and forth and clicks in the bearing hole on the rear tub , even the outer edge of the sealed bearing spins in the tub hole. I think the rear tub recess hole is worn and with all the shaking over time its slightly bigger the outer tub rear bearing hole.

I ordered the front half of the outer tub from LG for £36 with next day delivery inc, but the other half, the rear outer tub is a whopping, crazy £224 !!. All's I need is for the bearing to be tight in the tub recessed hole but the whole lot is spinning. Would it be possible to weld the outer edge of the new bearing in situ the the metal hole of the rear outer tub?. I know it will be there permanently but if it works , great , right now monies really tight at the mo so a cheap permanent repair is my only option .
Or any tips on how to secure a sealed bearing in a slightly bigger hole would be brilliant.

Attachments

• 20150817_120749.jpg
    20150817_120749.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 143
Sponsored Links
Could you find a bearing with a larger outer diameter but same inner diameter? What is the stamped on the current bearing?

I decided to take matters into my own hands :) I used a largish center punch and bashed a load of holes just on the edge of the metal part of the tub were the bearing sits to expand it and it seems to have done the trick then.............. while browsing on eBay I found someone selling a boxed LG genuine rear tub for my model.....a one off end of line stock for £35 in stockport so I drove there this morning and collected it as I'm only 1/2 hr away.

It comes with bearings and seal installed and hose and heater extraction gasket in place. I am just waiting on the front tub been delivered today and it's all systems go. It's a job not for the faint hearted but if you make a note of were every screw comes from (draw a pic and tape the screws to the pic) and take lots n lots of photo's then reverse it for assembly you can't go wrong. Hopefully it should be good for a few more years as I changed the pumps last year.

Sponsored Links
Well I spent the best part of a day rebuilding the washer with a few hitches here and there but all's now well and at this moment in time the washer and dryer are running fine. There was one major thing I found that alarmed me, were the vent connects to the top of the front outer tub there was a huge hole which had burned straight through the tub (see pictures before strip down and after).

This black vent part is made of metal so if my memory serves me right from my school days metal is a fantastic retainer of heat therefore holding the heat from the dryer and burning right through the tub you can see the scorch marks. There is nothing wrong with the thermostat and heater element they have been checked and are working fine now. So while I was looking for holes and changing door gaskets and hoses galore not to mention every hose the problem was tucked out of site behind the vent cover.
I also found the hole were the rear sealed bearing sits was damaged to the point were a new bearing was too small and the whole outer edge of the bearing span round as well !. So i changed the outer tub as well.

I have emailed and live chat to LG asking about the tub and fire resistant to what heat. Can you imagine your out while your washer is on a timer wash/dry and you come back to a pile of ashes that resembled your home ?. I have the tub and I will be sending it to a friend for him to test the properties of the tub. For over 2.5 years I have fought tooth and nail with this washer. It's been one thing after another ,endless changing virtually everything bar PCB's.
Like a faulty car you would probably get rid early doors but you spend thinking this will sort it , , , , this will sort it, , , and before you know you've spent more than you paid for the dam thing.

Attachments

• 20150817_120749.jpg
    20150817_120749.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 148
  • 20150817_102738.jpg
    20150817_102738.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 140

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back